Corny keg filling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corny keg filling?

How are you guys filling them? Usually I rig something up to go from a sankey keg to corny and then fill under counter pressure. It seems to take a long time though (corny keg tubing size limitation maybe?). Just wondered if anyone has devised a better corny keg filler. We don't regularly use them (corny kegs) but on occasion fill one when someone stops by with one in tow.

I ususally try to convince the customer to take what we have in a bright tank, then fill from the sample port. How long are you waiting to bleed off? It should not take much more then 5 minutes. I have a CO2 in coupler hooked to a pressure gauge and a small CO2 valve that I bleed off slowly with. Obviously I fill through the dip tube.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone is filling cornys. I used to fill them with a fitting I rigged up that consisted of tri-clover (from the tank valve) to braided hose to corny quick-connect..... then open pressure relief valve on keg periodically until the keg was full. Before any of this I would fill the keg with co2. To know when the keg was full, I just watched the condensation.

Yes - pretty convoluted. This was when we were using grundy tanks, and since moving up to 40BBL batches I haven't attempted to fill any cornys.... although we have been getting requests for kegs and I am considering it.

Comment

I love to fill corny kegs, no keg cleaning, no deposits, no calling people and begging for them to return kegs and taps. Just fill, pay, and smile!
        TriClamp --> Black Corny QC (fill via dip tube)..just as brewsoda described.
        White (gas side) Corny QC with a small ball valve attached to bleed off gas. see below:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	0707081358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	189472
        Last edited by Jephro; 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM.
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Hi guys,

We distribute the majority of our beer in Cornys and this is our current procedure...all the fitting on the gas/beer disconnects/line are John Guest push fit - not sure if you have them in the US, but they make life very, very easy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CornyfillingS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	189473

- Clean kegs are pressurised to desired pressure - just below that of beer tank

From Right to Left ...

- Beer comes from tank, with beer already at desired CO2 level.
          - Beer travels down 15mm tube (taken from python recirc).
          - Beer split into 2 3/8 beer line pipes into beer dip tubes of 2 kegs
          - Gas out of both kegs is then merged into 1 overflow keg beer dip tube
          - Overflow keg has a PRV on the gas side (gauge is broken, but we have it set to just below that of the tank and leave it.
          - When keg 1 or 2 overflows into the overflow keg, switch keg.

The PRV is probably the essential piece of kit here, plus the overflow keg allows us to get the kegs filled right to the tip of the gas dip tube.

I'm not positive on the official fill time, but it's about 2 kegs in 2-3 mins.

Hope it makes sense.

Cheers,

Jeff
          Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
          Chairman of the Beer
          Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
          Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
          W: www.lovibonds.com
          F: LovibondsBrewery
          T: @Lovibonds

Comment

That's a sweet little setup

Is that a homemade PRV?? I have tinkered with trying to build somthing like that for sankey keg filling. I am curious of what that device consists of.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

I got the PRV from morebeer.com in CA...this search should show you a couple different versions they sell:

home brew, home brewing, beer ingredients, homebrew, beer kits, beer equipment,brewing equipment

It is quite simply a spring inside a bit of threaded brass. The tighter you crank it, the higher the psi needed and vice versa. I'm sure you could easily adapt it to a Sankey gas fitting.

Someone once mentioned a valve that shut off when it contacted liquid - this part would complete our Corny keg filling wish list - anyone have that part no / supplier?

Cheers,

Jeff
              Last edited by Rosie; 07-08-2008, 02:07 PM.
              Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
              Chairman of the Beer
              Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
              Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
              W: www.lovibonds.com
              F: LovibondsBrewery
              T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Very cool!
                Thanks Jeff

Jeff
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

I get my liquid/gas shut off valves from Foxx equipment (based out of Kansas City/Denver). They fit right onto a corny keg valve and are made in both ball-lock and pin-lock styles. I've also adapted them for sankey keg use. Just put the valve on, and when the keg is full it shuts off. Super easy as long as the keg has enough pressure in it (if the keg is too low, say 5 psi, and the serving tank is at 15 psi, then you get too much foaming in the corny and the keg doesn't fill to the tippy top. Foam will trip the valve and shut it off).

I can't link directly to their catalog, but they're called Vent Check Bleeder valves and they're on Page 8 of the catalog I have. Foxx can be reached at 1-800-821-2254 in KC or 1-800-525-2484 in Denver.
                  Hutch Kugeman
                  Head Brewer
                  Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                  Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Working...
                  X