which pils malt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pils malt?

So I have decided that I want to use Pilsner malt in one of my upcoming O-Fest in addition to plenty of Vienna and Munich. The issue is my main supplier does not carry Weyerman's Pilsner, a malt Ive used, know, and like. So I need to choose between two maltsters that I have never used thier version of Pilsner.

Thomas Faucet, whose crystal I have had and like alot but their Pils malt is called Lager malt which from what I understand is good but not great. Its also not German.

The other being Best-Malz who I have never had any of thier grains, nor do I think I have had any other local brew made with it. It is however German in origin.

The final decision might be price, but to be honest I will spend the extra to get quality grain for this beer. O-fest is not something to be skimped upon.

So any comments, votes, ideas, etc. is greatly appreciated. The last option is to find another supplier, but I have a feeling the corp might cast a glance my way as the new guy starts running wild with C.O.D. accounts. Thanks again. Cheers!
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

pils malt

Best Malz is great quality. I've used it many times before - saisons, octoberfests, belgian style beers... I'm guessing that you are a NC Malt customer. Crosby Baker carries the Weyermann Pils malt - right in your back yard. I've actually heard that Best Malz is malted at the Weyermann plant...
    Shaun e.

Comment

RE: Pilsner malt

Hey Frank,
      The Best Malz is great. I used it in all of my lagers for the last 3 or 4 years. It's pretty consistent and the Munich is quite tasty. Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime if you have any lager questions.
      Cheers,
      Paul Davis
      Prodigal Brewing

Comment

I use the Fawcett's lager malt and I would not recomend using it for a true German lager. It's a great malt, but it just doesn't have that nice grassy, grainy flavor that good pils malt has. I would recomend the Best Malz for an Oktoberfest
        Scott Isham
        Harper's Brewpub

Comment

best maltz vienna and munich I have used! Love em.

Comment

Working...
          X