No announcement yet.

Pay rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say we jump on the band wagon and get bush to drop a lot of the taxing on alcohol so we can all make some money. because wether you think your boss is rich or not, if he owns just a brewery hes probably not. Hey i only make 8, and i love my job.

Comment

how to earn

I have been in the industry for over 10 years, and i am here to tell you that you can (that's right) you can earn a decent living as a brewer. Some things to keep in mind:

1. if you are way underpaid (BAA says that average is about 40K for a well trained head brewer) GET OUT! Some owners will just never understand the value of a skilled competent brewer. Don't try and train. Just leave.
      2. Good organizations pay based on perfomance (at least a little) and give bonus and benifits. If you aren't getting these things, leave.
      3. if you can't travel...get used to your pay. In this business you must be able to move markets to get an increase.
      4. Don't brew in California...not only is the cost of living nuts, it seems to be the one state where brewers make mim wage.
      5. Go bigger. Bigger breweries have bigger budgets, pay higher wages.
      6. Be a professional team member. You can't expect to make a great wage if you just show up, make wort, and leave.

While you may never get rich as a brewer, managing your carreer while working hard and smart will help you keep eating...buy a house, and raise your kids.
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Thanks for a good positive messege. I love to brew, money does not mean to much but yes it is important. Unfortanatly i do live in california. Half my pay goes to rent and food is so expensive. Thank fully i live in Chico and i don't have to drive much which saves me lots of money. Bike riding keeps me healthy and active also. I am finding the biggest problem is to further my education while working fulltime and having a family. But you know i love my wife and kid and my job. And i have fun at work and with my fellow employees, which i can say i never felt at any other job. Brewing is a rich buisness, just not a very profitable one in california.

Comment

Earnings Potential

I agree with Larry. You can make a good living in the brewing industry. You can earn good money working for a 500 bbl a year brewery, and you can make good money working for a 500,000 bbl a year company. You can even make good money working in CA.

I have been brewing since 1991. My pay rate has increased in comjunction with my experience. Keep in mind that there are many brewers out there, willing to work for less NOW, so they may one day earn more based on the experience they gained while employed.

It's pretty simple really. In 1995 my brother graduated from law school. He earned less then, than I did, because he had no experience in his chosen field. Ten years later, he has his own law firm. You have to start somewhere, and as long as you are committed, willing to learn, and have a strong work ethic, you will eventually get what you earn.

By the way, I will be hiring an assistant brewer in June. The starting pay is $25,000 a year with health and paid vac., which is a hell of a lot more than I made as an assistant brewer in '91, '92, '93, '94 and '95. I know, that was ten years ago, but I got paid $8.00 an hour with little or no benefits.

Comment

After 12 years in the industry learning how to do everything from bankruptcy law to 3 phase electrical, you can open your own brewery and 6 years later buy a home in California and make a reasonable living.
            Don't expect the hours per week to change much! Consider that $10 per hour cheaper than paying to go to school! The more you understand the cash flow and profit in a brewery/brewpub, the more you will be armed to make the case for a more productive deal for you and the mgmt. This understanding will pay you back for the rest of your career.
            Last edited by Moonlight; 03-27-2005, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I love it.
              All these guys out there who say "it's great, you can make a good wage working in a brewery" ....don't say how much they make.
              Hey,...it's all what you make (or make-up) of it .
              Delusion can be a very happy, comfy place.I find most prospective professional brewers completley un-realistic about brewing jobs.

Comment

Salary

head brewers in our company make in the 40-60k range with bonus, full medical, dental, 401k with matching, paid vacation, reimbursment for education expenses, mbaa memberships, trip to GABF, trip to CBC, comp in the restaurant, milage....best brewing job ever.
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Horwitz
                  head brewers in our company make in the 40-60k range with bonus, full medical, dental, 401k with matching, paid vacation, reimbursment for education expenses, mbaa memberships, trip to GABF, trip to CBC, comp in the restaurant, milage....best brewing job ever.
                  Com'on.....You gotta know that rare extreemes are the exception.

Comment

Working...
                  X