mash pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mash pump

I just acquired a specific mechanical 3 vessel system with a Tri-flow HD Series centrifugal pump for transferring the mash to the lauter tun. It runs at 1740 rpm.

Anyone have any comments regarding the "gentleness" of this means of transfer. I've seen articles recommending less than 1000 rpm.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I think that you will be ok with that rpm. I go much higher and do not see any problems. I needed to add an inducer to my pump because it would get stuck. But I am using the pump for mashing in.

I think you will be OK. In the end if it works and the beer is good... ...then drink it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmeckbrew
      I just acquired a specific mechanical 3 vessel system with a Tri-flow HD Series centrifugal pump for transferring the mash to the lauter tun. It runs at 1740 rpm.

Anyone have any comments regarding the "gentleness" of this means of transfer. I've seen articles recommending less than 1000 rpm.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
      We use this same pump on our brew systems both as a mash and kettle pump. The kettle pump runs at 2850rpm and the mash pump at 1400 rpm (we are 50HZ power supply). These rpm levels are at full power as we also use a "variable speed drive" on both pumps. I would strongly suggest that you have a VSD fitted to the mash pump which will give you infinite control over the rpm and consequently the amount of shear the pump might induce.

Wes

Comment

mash pump

Thanks guys. After your responses I checked the control panel schematics and it seems there is a variable frequency drive for the unit.

Thanks again,

John

Comment

Working...
        X