Thread: Water filter replacement

Water filter replacement

I am having some trouble breaking the casings lose to replace my filters. Just 6 months ago I was able to do it as easy as 1 2 3. This time I have broken three of the plastic wrenches used to losen them. I am using the Big Boy Brand. Any suggestions??

Get yourself a Channel lock 460 plyers and wrap the teeth w/electrical tape.

big boys

Make sure you release any pressure in the canister. Any water valves open up stream could be letting water and thus pressure into the canister. Making them a real pain to open. Open all down stream of them.

And on reassembly, apply a thin coating of Petrogel or other suitable lubricant to the threads & O-ring. You won't have this problem again. Cheers!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

Just curious : why do you recommend Petrogel over silicone grease?

Gregg

No particular reason. We use Petrogel for all of our food processing needs. It's compatible with most elastomers, and it's not expensive. If you have good luck with silicone-based lubricants, then I'd stick with them. The important thing is to use it! We put it on everything: to prevent leaks through pressure relief valves, lubricate zwickles, elastomers on our DE filter, HLT manway gasket to prevent adhesion, air & water filters, keg O-rings, canning machine parts, pump mechanical seals, etc, etc. I like to take things apart without ruining parts or having to use a torch! Cheers!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

We've also wrapped a strap around the housing and had two guys pull on either end to twist the housing off...after we ran out of plastic wrenches.
    Clarke Pelz
    Cynosure Brewing