Oak Infusion Spirals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Infusion Spirals

We just purchased some light toast american oak infusion spirals, http://www.infusionspiral.com. I was just wondering from anyone who has used them for beer what amounts you used and contact time. We are going to use them for an strong ale we are brewing. The batch will be 20 barrels, and we have five 48 inch new spirals. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Ryan
    Mayflower Brewing

Oak Spirals

Originally posted by TheBeerBaron3
    We just purchased some light toast american oak infusion spirals, http://www.infusionspiral.com. I was just wondering from anyone who has used them for beer what amounts you used and contact time. We are going to use them for an strong ale we are brewing. The batch will be 20 barrels, and we have five 48 inch new spirals. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Ryan
    Mayflower Brewing

have you done this yet? whats the verdict? how did you use them (i.e. serving tank or seperate vessel)? what was your contact time? how did it come out (flavor, aroma)?
    Last edited by scruz; 10-15-2008, 08:44 PM.

Comment

we did use them. after primary, we opened the PRV and dropped five 48" spirals. we let the beer age on them for about a month. the most noteable character is vanilla. all in all an easy and effective way to oak a batch. i would love to see what other toast levels would contribute. there is always next year..........

Comment

We're starting to try the spirals as well. No details yet. thanks for sharing.

And next year, please enter the Festival of Wood and Barrel Aged beer in Chicago. Details here:

In addition to the 102 entries we have right now, we'd love to have Mayflower participate
        (and the rest of you reading this as well)
        Contact me if you need further details
        Cheers!
        Matt
        Matt Van Wyk
        Brewmaster
        Oakshire Brewing
        Eugene Oregon

Comment

Russ, the cooper at the Barrel Mill, has a wealth of knowledge on infusion spirals. He suggested a contact time of at least six weeks to reach the thresholds for most of the flavor compounds. I have used them for specialty casks in the past with good results.

Comment

My Experience

I just put Premonition Porter on draft, a Baltic porter style. I let the beer finish the diacetyl rest, lowered temp to low 60s, let it settle for three to four days, pulled the majority of the yeast plug, then dropped in 2 of the 5 48" spirals (Medium plus American Oak). My reasoning here was to let some of the unflocculated yeast gather on the two spirals before I added the remainder, so that they would not rob the beer of the oak flavor. I waited three days and added the other three spirals, noting that the first two were still bobbing on top. After a couple days I checked through the top manway, the staves were all submerged at this point. I kept the temp at about 58F for about a week, at which point the vanilla and oak were really coming through. I then lowered the temp to 40 over several days. All in all the wood was only in contact for three weeks when I put it on draft and the character contributed by the spirals is amazing, toward the last few days we could pick up some coconut even! It goes well with the roasted malt flavors in the porter. Oh yeah, that is for a eight barrel volume. I love these spirals and will use them again soon.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

- Are there guidelines for how many/what size spirals to add per barrel?
              - Contact time?
              - How do you add them: just throw them into the cylindroconical like a dry hop? or suspended in bags?

Comment

Don't know about guidelines but I added 5 spirals for 6 weeks in a 3bbl batch. The oak flavor was amazing.
                The spirals show up in mesh bags, I just suspended these through the PRV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sanitation

Hi,

Do you, and if so how, sanitize the spirals before adding them in?

thx

Comment

Working...
                  X