Help with Tri Clover Backplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Tri Clover Backplate

trying to service a c114 triclover head.
    bought the seal and gasket kit, but i'm unable to remove the backplate.
    i don't think it's been serviced in many years, and the backplate won't budge.

it looks like you have to turn it clockwise from the front in order to disengage to two small hooks on the inside. i've tried a lot of very hot water, but it's like trying to get a grip on the world's thinnest jar lid.

any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

-dontspookthehorse

Originally posted by dontspookthehor
    trying to service a c114 triclover head.
    bought the seal and gasket kit, but i'm unable to remove the backplate.
    i don't think it's been serviced in many years, and the backplate won't budge.

it looks like you have to turn it clockwise from the front in order to disengage to two small hooks on the inside. i've tried a lot of very hot water, but it's like trying to get a grip on the world's thinnest jar lid.

any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

-dontspookthehorse

We use the same pumps in our brewery and they are quiet easy to get apart once you have pulled one down, but I do remember the fitter and I looking pretty stupid the first time we tried.

Here is the link for the manual

it sounds like you have already stripped down the front of the pump, so go to page 23-26 of the manual and it will show you the disassembly procedure for the backing plate that you can not get off, I use a long pin punch and hammer or a long metal drift to get in behind the backing plate and hit the pins in the backing plate, it is removed in a anticlockwise fashion, so just keep tapping until it starts to move, just making sure that you are hiting the pins that are screwed into the backing plate not the pump housing as this will bend them. Once you have it of you will have to see why the seal failed, more than likely the backing plate will be worn and require to be sent out for machining, this is very important step because the new seal will fail quickly if it is running on a worn pitted surface and the guys who you get to do the machining normally will do it for beer.

hope this helps

Cheers

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Herbstoffe
      ...I use a long pin punch and hammer or a long metal drift to get in behind the backing plate and hit the pins in the backing plate, it is removed in a anticlockwise fashion, so just keep tapping until it starts to move, just making sure that you are hiting the pins that are screwed into the backing plate not the pump housing as this will bend them...
      hope this helps

Cheers

Brett
      the pins you speak of are small hooks (right angled) oriented in a way that would make one think the backing plate is screwed off in a clockwise rotation. i will try your suggestion tomorrow. thanks for the info and the .pdf file.

-dontspookthehorse

Comment

Working...
      X