Glass Washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Washers

I was wondering what type of automatic glass washers people are using? And what kind of detergents, sanitizers, rinse additives? I have a concern about rinse additives ending up in my beer, I would like to omit to rinse additive step in our glass washer, (I dont want any additives ending up in my beer)but the pub manager is not co-operating with me complaining about water spots on the glassware. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Too bad your owner has its head up its a$$. Water spots on beer glassware (or any restaurant glassware) is unacceptable in these modern times of indoor plumbing, heated water and yes detergents!!!! Enough soap box. I have found the most effective leverage I have is calling up my dishwashing chemical supplier and have him come in personally and show him the problem. Spend a few minutes explaining the problem and have him inspect the equipment. You would amazed at how easily the dish was machines get out of calibration on chemical dispense, the spray nozzles need to be cleaned and make sure you have an effective de-spotting chemical in the final rinse. Also, check water temps. If they aren't responsive call some one else in for quotes and you would amazed how aggressive these guys are to get the business. We switched vendors 4 times last years until we found the one that works for us. As a final non chemical approach train your bar/waitstaff to hand polish glassware with a linen cloth.

Comment

Glassware cleaning

In my brewpub we use a device called the Spulboy (the "u" in the name has the two dots over it). They provide the detergent as well. This is a small hand washer with brushes and automatic rinsing that is actually kinda fun to use! It leaves a beautiful Belgian lace on the glass everytime. It's from Germany I believe, but it works magic. Cheers! Jamie Fulton

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Glassware nightmare

Spul boys are illegal in the U.S. as they don't sanitize....that being said, use one if you can. they are great. Yes, do call your dish machine guy, they will do great things for you. No, don't use the rinse aid (Jet dry etc.) that every dish machine company wants you to use. While this chemical will leave the glasses spot free, it will kill all of the head on your beer.

If your manager won't cooperate, get 2 glasses. One should be straight out of the tank, and the other will be a glass that you have cleaned by hand (get it really clean and dry by using a glass that is new and hasn't been run through the grease filled machine and using some caustic or a high quality detergent to clean it) fill both with beer, and put them on the bar for your guy to see. Yours will look great all the way to the bottom (proper lace etc) and his will look like apple juice!

Also, be aware that some health inspectors, and therefore some restaurant managers are under the mistaken impression that rinse aid is sanitizer, and is required by law. I recently had this sort of run in with a local inspector. Education is the key (or just wait 'till they leave and pull the draw tube out of the jet dry!)

At my pub, we have a dish machine just for beer glassware. It helps to keep the grease and dairy off of the beer glasses. Don't want spots? feed it with softened water. Stay away from rines aids, and quat as a sanitizer, it's a strong surface active agent and will also kill the head on your beer. you want chlorine if you can get it, at make sure it is being metered at the lowest level allowable. If you are getting a free (or cheap) dish machine from your chemical guy make sure you are aware that his motive is to sell chemicals, not get your glasses beer clean.

Good luck!
        Last edited by Larry Horwitz; 04-29-2005, 06:51 AM.
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Glasswasher

Larry,

Any chance you could divulge the model of this glass washer. How many do you have and what is your peak volume?

Thanks,
          Jay
          I fish, therefore I lie.

Comment

Our unit is a Jackson Omega 5 single rack dish machine. It was supplied to us by Ecolab (see my earilier post). The only thing special about this machine is that we only use it for Beer glasses. nothing else goes through the machine. nothing. also, we had the ecolab guy disconnect the pump for the jet dry

We have one machine in the kitchen at my location, but they are usually located at the bar (we had a code isssue that required it to be relocated...it was a stupid code... but we still had to move it...)

On a busy night, the machine runs about a rack every 3-5 mins (24 glasses)
            Last edited by Larry Horwitz; 04-29-2005, 12:58 PM.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

Any specific brand cleaners?

Looking for some new input to an old, but very useful topic. We have small glass washers at our bars--like a mini-dishwasher. Everything our cleaning supply guy shows us has rinse agent built in. This region has very hard water and seems that nobody makes a detergent without rinse aid. Any suggestions from players like Diversey, Ecolab, or other institutional suppliers? Certainly want proper lacing on glasses.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Looks like the Spuel Boy is a pretty sweet!

I think it would be "legal" if you had an extra sink filled with a sanitizer. I agree with Larry that just a little chlorine is the way to go. Or if you're familiar, you could use some of Micro-Matic's stuff. The industry term is "Beer Clean".

Do any companies make a product for direct use in a glass washer that is rated "Beer Clean", i.e. no rinse-aids, low aroma, etc.?

All I've found are for use in a sink with brushes like the Spuel Boy. That's all fine and dandy as our bartenders do wash the glasses by hand when it's not busy. But during dinner rush, our glasses go into a greasy glasswasher that kills our head.

It breaks my heart to see our brilliantly filtered, properly carbonated, heavy headed Pilsner poured into an American shaker pint with no head.

Kevin
                Chuckanut Brewery

Comment

I love spulboy glass cleaners. My specific problem is with rinse agents added to hard water detergent formulations. What specific glass cleaner is used with Spulboy? I'd like to know what glass detergents are specifically formulated for beer glasses and have no rinse agents in them. As I've said, it seems like everyone loves rinse agents except brewers and their discriminating customers.

Comment

Bump. Detergents specific to glass washers? Would prefer a tablet type. Ecolab recommends their "Guardian Clean" product. Anyone using this?

Comment

Sanitizer

Jason,
                      What sanitizer do you recommend using with the Spulboy system?

Comment

Originally posted by campbell.brian
                        All of our customers have preferred the Bevi Felix over the Spulboy.

Die deutsche Braukunst ist international hoch angesehen und wird auf der ganzen Welt geschätzt. Ein Qualitätsdenken, dem sich wir von BeviClean seit über 30 Jahren verschrieben haben. Wir sind Ihr Experte für Gastronomie-Hygiene und Schankanlagen-Reinigung

Not only are these units cheaper, but from the feedback we have received, these units hold up much better to bartender abuse. They are also NSF certified.

You can also disassemble these units for cleaning and replacement of broken parts.
                        Where to buy it?

Comment

Loeffler Chemicals is the US distributor.

http://www.loefflerchemical.com/BeviClean.htm

The glass cleaner is shown at the bottom of the page.

Comment

We use the BeviFelix and when it arrived to replace the SpulBoy, I didn't think it looked any sturdier, but is taking a lot of abuse from the bar staff and coming back for more.

We start with Quash (from Banner?) in a sponge dish to rub off the lipstick, then we hit it with the beviFelix, rinse and then a dip in the Ecolab manual bar sanitizer.

We get great lace and beautiful pours.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne1 View Post
                              Loeffler Chemicals is the US distributor.

http://www.loefflerchemical.com/BeviClean.htm

The glass cleaner is shown at the bottom of the page.
                              Thank you..

Comment

Working...
                              X