Ozone as a sanitizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozone as a sanitizer

Has anyone tried ozone as a sanitizer, I know wineries are starting to, and it is approved by the FDA,
    But wanted any practical knowledge I can see it being a great rinse down in the brewery at the end of the day as well, killing everything it contacts as it washes down the drain.

Laughing Dog

Next Question

Ok Seems no one is using Ozonated Water to sanitize but do any of you have an Ozone generator for Sale that you may have picked up along the way?

LDB

Comment

Ozone

I'm always looking for more reliant sanitizing that is as friendly to my septic system as possible. We run a 7bbl brewhouse in the country. Came across this link that I found very interesting, http://www.practicalwinery.com/janfeb00/ozone.htm
      Could be the hottest thing out there for us.

Have a great week,
      Frank Kassik
      Kassik's Kenai Brew Stop
      Understanding the culture over a bottle of beer

Comment

ozone

That is the article I read as well and it intrigued me so I asked our local winery and BAM thats what they are doing
        so I thought about giving it a try

LDB

Comment

I am concerned how many rubber gaskets and parts could be screwed up. For similar safe-septic surface sterilant, how about using hydrogen peroxide? It is available by the drum and can be diluted down to a convenient strength. It does also have some action on rubber parts, but I seem to think it is a bit more gentle.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
            For similar safe-septic surface sterilant, how about using hydrogen peroxide? It is available by the drum and can be diluted down to a convenient strength. It does also have some action on rubber parts, but I seem to think it is a bit more gentle.
            And it works great on clearing up ear infections.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
              For similar safe-septic surface sterilant, how about using hydrogen peroxide? It is available by the drum and can be diluted down to a convenient strength. It does also have some action on rubber parts, but I seem to think it is a bit more gentle.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Laughing Dog,

You might be interested in having a look at the Clear Water Tech LLC website.

You could talk with Dale Wills, who is an operations manager about the generators and ozone applications within the brewery. I know Sierra Nevada was using it in some capacity or another. Unfortunately I don't know much about it.
                Todd Malloy
                Director of Brewing
                Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
                Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
                  One of the chemistry teachers at school liked to demonstrate the catalytic properties of ear wax by pouring hydrogen peroxide into the ear of a volunteer - willing or otherwise. Take a bow, "Fizzy" Forsyth.

Gregg
                  Gregg

Comment

Having an ozone generator onsite entails pretty serious OSHA concerns.

Talk with your local rep first.

Pax.

Liam
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

You can get electronic / electrical ozone generators. I know it is used for washdown water for bottling lines etc, and by repute, it does a wonderful job of cleaning up floors etc of ay slime or other organic soil. I know it is also used for killing off bugs on fresh foods (fruit & veg) prior to chilled distribution etc, to extend shelf life, but have ever heard of anyone using it in a brewery for CIP - though I would like to try it myself - but in a large company, this sort of trial is difficult to arrange - so many doubters, so much risk if you get VERY large quantities of beer contaminated.

We still generally use PAA or close relatives.

Look forward to someone saying they are happy using it
                      dick

Comment

Ozone Sanitation

Hi Fred,

I have some experience with ozone generation and using ozone water for sanitation. It was originally used for bottle rinsing where I worked. A second ozone generator was added for sterile water applications and some ozone sanitation steps for tanks were in trial. It can be a bit tricky to make sure the concentration is within range but also not too high as it's no fun to breathe ozone fumes.

There is an article in Brauwelt International number 4 this year talking abit about ozone systems used for drinking water and process water. This might be worthwhile checking out. PM me if you have some questions. I'll also be in your area over the holidays so maybe a chat over a pint would be helpful?

Cheers,
                        Mike
                        Mike Jordan
                        Brewmaster
                        Boxing Cat Brewery
                        Shanghai, P.R. China
                        michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Thanks

I've got the Brauwelt article, but unless I misread it, it was talking largely of water sterilisation, rather than plant sterilisation - I had better re-read it now just to make sure.

I know a number of people use ClO2 for plant sterilsation, but I was hoping to get away from chemicals, and the problems with dosing pumps, lack of chemicals, safe handling etc and be able to use a robust electrical system for Ozone generation, and simplify sterilant usage, and make the CIP process more robust.

Give me a shout nearer the time of your visit and perhaps we can catch up with each other. Cheers

Dick
                          dick

Comment

Ozone Sanitation

Hi Dick,

You're correct in the Brauwelt article deals with water sterilisation. I think the article has some relevance.

I was actually trying to assist the original poster from Laughing Dog as I was visiting family in his area over the holidays. Sorry for the confusion.

But...if I ever visit Yorkshire, which is bound to eventually happen, I'll look you up

Mike
                            Mike Jordan
                            Brewmaster
                            Boxing Cat Brewery
                            Shanghai, P.R. China
                            michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Why aren't we more interested in this?

As I Google around, it becomes evident that ozone generation is even common among cannabis growers. There are potheads out there scavenging neon transformers to BUILD ozone generators . I understand that Sierra Nevada does quite a bit with ozone, but surely it's about time for this ultimately affordable (and rather green) technology to trickle down to the rest of us, teflon gaskets and all.

Does anyone know, or care to guess what an ozone CIP protocol could or should consist of?

Comment

Working...
                              X