Ozone as a sanitizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ozone

I believe Dogfish Head is using ozone as a sanitizer in the CIP loop, so you may want to check with them.
    Justin Moore
    Head Brewer of Good Times
    Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
    Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

A question best left to other mortals

I did try to check with DFH, and they do use ozone in a number of applications, but they are far too busy to chat with the likes of me about it! If anyone has any other information about this, I would greatly appreciate it. At the very least, ozone could be the end to the "tangy" barrels I've heard a number of people complain about.

Comment

Ozone Sanitation in Breweries

We have our ozone systems (over 4000 systems worldwide) in both wineries and breweries being used for sanitation. We have the protocols for all brewery sanitation applications (these have been developed by our clients and are constantly updated). Below is a testimonial from one of our clients. Give me a call and I will be happy to answer any questions you have, give you client names to contact and send info on our systems. Ozone can be used as a single source organic sanitizer in breweries.

John McClain
        President
        McClain Ozone
        707-254-0576
        Independent professional McClain Ozone specializes in the production of Ozone-on-Demand Sanitation Systems! Contact Us Independent professional McClain Ozone specializes in the production of Ozone-on-Demand Sanitation Systems! Contact Us Independent professional McClain Ozone specializes in the production of Ozone-on-Demand Sanitation Systems! Contact Us Independent professional Independent professional

john@mcclainozone.com

Lake Louie Brewing is a small microbrewery (3000 barrels/year). We decided to make the leap to Ozone sanitation for two reasons: to reduce labor/chemical costs, and to minimize the environmental impact. Our McClain Destroyer Plus has surpassed both qualifications. Our previous chemical CIP protocol required 20 minutes of recirculation; ozone requires less than 2 minutes. Set up/ tear down is also reduced by approximately 50%. Environmental impact is not only reduced, but all but eliminated. All of this without compromising finished product quality. We continue to implement more applications for ozone in our brewery: Keg/bottle sanitation, killing mold, floor drain maintenance, etc. The Ozone system payoff with respect to Labor and Chemical usage was nine months (See savings break down below).

If any brewer out there is curious about McClain Ozone systems and how their brewery might benefit from ozone, Call me.

I won’t try to sell you anything, I’ll just tell you about the money to be saved.

Tom Porter
        Owner
        Lake Louie Brewing

Labor Cost Savings Breakdown
        Sanitation set up and completion time reduced on average from 35 minutes to 5 minutes
        ½ hour labor savings x 4 times/day x 5 days/week = 10 hours/week x $25.00 Direct Labor Cost = $250.00/week x 52 weeks = $13,000.00/year
        Cost of Destroyer GS12 Ozone Sanitation System - $10,495.00
        Reduction of chemical and hot water cost which added additional savings were not calculated into payoff time!
        System payoff time = 9.6 months!

Comment

• Jessesun
          Jessesun commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom,

How high is the mixing efficiency of your ozone water? Cooling and pressurizing, or only pressurizing? Another question is how much your current ozone concentration and hourly output can reach?

Ozonator

We also have been using an ozonator for about a year now with excellent results. Used for final wash down of brewery, bottle rinsing and spot sanitizing. saving us big $$.
        ours came from Lotus / Tersano international - contact Steve Hengsperger, steveh@tersano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vendetta
          I did try to check with DFH, and they do use ozone in a number of applications, but they are far too busy to chat with the likes of me about it! If anyone has any other information about this, I would greatly appreciate it. At the very least, ozone could be the end to the "tangy" barrels I've heard a number of people complain about.
          Ozone can be used after a traditional Caustic CIP in pretty much any vessel be it wood, cask, CCV etc....In our case we do use a CIP loop and it works quite well...It works in place of Peracetic acid for example....

Comment

Ozone is widely used in the food industry, sterilization and disinfection, including air, appliance disinfection, and water disinfection, sterilization, the key point is how to design the ozone system

The hourly decay rate of ozone air is 61% (changes to oxygen)
            The working efficiency of the ozone generator is 75%
            The volume of the food processing workshop is V cubic meters
            The requirement of sterilization ozone concentration is B (ppm or mg/L)
            The output of the ozone machine is Y

How to determine the value of V, because the clean space involves ventilation problems and ozone is added to the pipeline through the central air conditioning, the V value usually consists of three parts, namely V=V1+V2+V3, V1 is the size of the clean space, V2 is the volume of the central air-conditioning duct, and V3 is the fresh air volume during air circulation

According to the formula, the size of the clean space sterilization ozone machine is Y=VxB/(1-61%)x75%. When the hourly consumption Y value of ozone is greater than 1 kg, an ozone system is usually used to ensure the continuity and stability of sterilization. Ozone The mixing system includes air compressor, filter, refrigeration dryer, adsorption dryer, gas storage tank, ozone space detector, exhaust gas processor, etc.

If ozone is used for water disinfection, another factor must be considered, which is the mixing efficiency of ozone and water.

Comment

ozone can disinfect wine glass? like these wine glass decanter in this web of aceayes.com
              Last edited by Jessesun; 08-24-2023, 06:37 AM. Reason: wrong link

Comment

Working...
              X