broken bottle rim YIKES!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken bottle rim YIKES!!!!

I just recieved and email from a customer (who also included pictures) of two bottles in a six pack. He had opened the bottles but the glass "ring" of the top of the bottle had snapped off and was still lodged under the cap. I have never heard, nor seen this in the 9 years of us obttling...do I chalk this up as bad glass, or is there some thing anyone might suggest me looking at (spring pressure on the capper, more adequadte rinsing underneath the cap etc)

any thoguhts would be appreciated!

From my bartending days i can tell you i have seen it happen many many times with bottles from A-B, Miller, Coors etc.. I usually attributed it to the opener catching the that glass lip instead of the cap and breaking the bottle.

I have seen some flawed bottles on the bottling line that have shattered when the caper came down on them. It is usually easy to pick out the flawed bottles with a visual inspection, the flaws look like little clear spots, basically an air bubble in the glass. If you find flawed bottles, you need to switch bottle suppliers. You may ask the customer what kind of opener he used, if its one of the bartender style openers that may be your cause. The opening on those is large enough to catch that lip.
    Last edited by Jephro; 10-26-2008, 02:34 PM.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

We have the mouth of the bottle break off as you describe during bottling occasionally. This happens with our 22oz maheen but not with the 12oz. I have never heard of a bottle like this leaving the brewery. Usually the cap and the mouth are left there on the deck.
      eatdrinkandbemerry
      Jon Hill, Brewer
      Atlantic Brewing Co
      jon at atlanticbrewing dot com

Comment

I had this happen to me. What was happening was the row of bottles under the crowning head was being tipped slightly forward. Basically the bottles would follow the same angle as the infeed ramp all the way to under the crowner, if that makes sense. The weight of all the bottles on the ramp would push everything slightly forward and never allow the bottles to sit fully flat on the deck. Of course, once the fill head came down everything sat flat but the cap has already been put on by then. The cap would still go on but the edge of the bottle would be slightly chipped just under the edge of the crown. Some bottles had the entire top come off with the cap when opened, some actually had the chip make a tiny hole all the way through, resulting in a leaking bottle.

For me the solution was to not stack the infeed ramp too full, and also not to put too much silicon lubricant on the infeed ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by grs
          For me the solution was to not stack the infeed ramp too full, and also not to put too much silicon lubricant on the infeed ramp.
          I have never noticed when the mouths break off like that but next time we run the 22oz I'll give that a try.
          eatdrinkandbemerry
          Jon Hill, Brewer
          Atlantic Brewing Co
          jon at atlanticbrewing dot com

Comment

I have a couple of old wall mounted bottle openers (placed strategically around the house and garage) and this occasionally happens to me. I usually blame it on the fact that the openers in question were designed in the pre-twist off era and when the thicker, refillable/returnable bottles were the norm. The breaking off of the bottle's lip along with the crown seems to happen due to too much leverage, the lip of the crown cap not perfectly aligned with the edge of the opener combined with the thinner glass on today's one-way, throw-away bottles. So, possibly the problem is not your bottles but the drinker's opener.

Ironically, the design of the wall-mount openers I prefer, sold by the predominant opener manufacture, Vaughn (and once available imprinted with a number of well-known brewers' logos), was called the "Never Chip".
            "The 'Never-Chip' is the bottlers bottle insurance" was the slogan on the box.
            Last edited by jesskidden; 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X