Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Auger Breakage

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else out there has trouble with their flex auger snapping. Ours is only fairly short (5m) with a couple of steep bends (and a third lateral bend). It has repeatedly broken at different positions.

It is constructed from 304SS (as most are I believe?) and is fixed at the bottom (ie. it is connected to a shaft/bearing assembly under the grist case - I believe some aren't?).

We are currently looking to change the mounting on the discharge end to reduce that angle and move the grist case slightly to help with another.

Any comments...........

Cheers,

Alex

I have installed several grain augers and all of them have had carbon steel screws. The grain tends to polish it bright, leading one to possibly mistake it for stainless. Use a magnet to verify. The longest one was about 12 meters long, and I have never had one break. The idler bearing should be under the grist case, while the drive should be above the mash tun. These flexible augers are usually designed to provide ONLY left or right hand turns, but NOT both. This sounds seriously frustrating and the only advice I can give is to contact the manufacturer/distributor to track down the problem. Augers shouldn't break. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks for that. I have checked and ours is 304SS. I also have checked with a couple of suppliers and they always use stainless. However, we are keen on trying a carbon steel helix and I think I'll have one made up (should be more flexible/less brittle).

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Working...
      X