Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sad question...

Hello Forum,
    I was wondering if anyone out there has been thru their brewery burning. Unfortunately the hotel and gym attached to the brewery I run caught fire and eventually spread to the roof in our brewery and pub. Thankfully even with a full hotel and Perkins restaurant no one was hurt...unbelievable! I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their experiences so I might know what to expect in terms of employment, how long it takes to get things going again, what to do for state and federal agencies etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated in this time of endless questions.
    Thanks
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

That sucks. Good luck

Kiernan
    LBC

Comment

Jay- Sorry to hear about the fire. I was in a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the beers I tried.

My situation wasn't exactly the same, but we had a restaurant fire that closed us down for 4 months in 2002. The brewery was untouched, but at that time we were selling 95% of our beer in the restaurant so we were pretty much shut down.

We kept some of the beer we had to keep our outside accounts stocked as much as possible. Most of the beer in the fermenters got dumped (the brewery was full of damaged rest. equipment/antiques etc. and not really a workable space). The beer in the brite tanks was mostly kegged off and given away to charities (fire dept) and friends. Our owner was fully insured (thank god) and all lost inventory was covered. We started up brewing about a month before our expected re-open so we'd have fresh beer on hand.

For me personally, I thought about unemployment, but our owner hired about a dozen employees to assist the construction team in rebuilding. We mostly did manual labor stuff and painted/stained alot, but it helped moved the project along a little quicker.

As far as state/federal agencies go, I didn't deal with that stuff personally. But we did get some bad info from NY state liquor authority that resulted in all of our brand label registrations expiring and having to be completely re-filed from the beginning. big pain in the a##.
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Fire

Jay,

Sorry to hear about that. Our new production plant had a fire about a week before launch and it's looking to set us back several months. The fire was 6 weeks ago and lots of questions still remain regarding scheduling of work to get us back up and going. If you can be involved in the process of cleanup and repair, I do think that it both speeds things along and, of course, keeps you working. Plus, your knowledge about the equipment and what things matter most is better than anybody else's. I wish I had more answers (for both of us). Try to keep the smoked beer comments from bringing you down.

Steve
        Steve Bradt
        Regional Sales Manager
        Micro-Matic Packaging Division
        Eastern United States and Canada
        sbradt@micro-matic.com
        785-766-1921

Comment

I love this forum

Thanks everyone for sharing. Each story makes me feel a little better in these scary, uncertain times. Kudo's to this forum and the great people who take part in it.
          Thanks
          Jay Stoyanoff
          Brewmaster
          Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
          Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Working...
          X