Enzymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enzymes

I'm looking to add enzymes into the fermentor to see if I can dry out a beer that finished higher than I'd like. We've tried this in the past and it didn't really do much. In the past attempt (if memory serves) we hydrated the amylase and added it into the fermentor from the top. My question is wether others have used enzymes to dry out a beer and how they did it. What brand? Amount added? Techniques used?

Thanks in advance,

dave

As a homebrewer, I used a product called Convertase 300 from Kerry I believe, to finish a beer out that had quite a bit of complex polysaccharides. It worked good, but I remember having to heat the beer up into a range where the enzyme would work (recommended temp on Kerry site?) , then cool and repitch. I can't imagine having to do that at your level, but thought I would let you know my experience.

Good Luck!

Marc

Comment

I used amylase enzyme from Crosby and Baker to help dry out a couple of 10 or 20 bbl. batches. I hydrated the enzyme in some warm water and added it to the top of the fermentor. I think I used about 1/2 lb. for 10 bbls. and did it while the beer was in the fermentation range. I think I got a 1 - 1.5 plato drop.

Jim Lieb
      Rocky River Brewing Co.

Comment

Can one use these enzyme during mashing instead?
        That would make most sense if the enzyme can take the mashing temperature.

Comment

Dave-

I have just recently used some in an Ale that we needed to dry up. We did this on three batches, the first batch we added it to the top of the fermenter and had perfect results. The other two batches we added it to the yeast pitch prior to knocking out. Both worked well

We used Convertase AG-300 from Crosby & Baker (liquid version). Our usage rate was .5 oz per 50bbl batch. With that we were able to easily drop a whole point extra.

Caution:
          We tried to do use it on a Lager and nothing happen. When we pulled a sample and warmed it we were able to see the drop we wanted. Temp sensitive.
          Last edited by Iso-Alpha; 08-22-2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Novozymes

I have had good luck with a company called Novozymes - not sure what their US Representation is like, but they have a ridiculous portfolio of products available here (they have a location here in Copenhagen)- diacetyl reducing, beta glucanase, attenuation/alpha amylase, etc. Everything.
            Unfortunately, the page you were looking to access is no longer available or has been moved. However, we have plenty of informative content for you - just browse our site to learn more.

Awesome Company.
            Good Luck Dave.

Comment

Working...
            X