Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bittering additions with hop sock?

Hola.

Is it possible to complete all kettle hop additions including bittering in a hop sock(s) and achieve acceptable results?

*7bbl single infusion
    *Indirect fired
    *Whole hops
    *One addition at start of boil
    *One addition at end of boil

We do understand that utilization is a big concern.

you will probably need quite a few large hop socks allowing the hops to spread around inside for good surface area...

Why do you want to do that? Are you concerned about WP cone formation?

Comment

Originally posted by jarviw
      Why do you want to do that? Are you concerned about WP cone formation?
      My concern would be getting hop leaves in the Heat Exchanger- they can be very pesky. I would agree, yes you will get less utilization depending on how tight you pack your bags. At a previous brewery we bought "dry cleaning bags" from a local department store. They worked very well because the holes were fairly large and the bags were pretty big (3'x4' or so) and had zippers for easy clean-up and reuse.

Whole Hops w/o bags...
      If you do a good WP w/ ample settle time you should be able to avoid getting too much sucked into the H/E. Don't know what your setup looks like, but you may be able to install a sock filter, or maybe a sock screen gasket in-line between the BK and H/E for that sleep-through-the-night peace of mind.
      Last edited by Jephro; 11-30-2008, 02:09 PM.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

WP cone formation and the HE is our major concern Jarviw. Legitimate?
        On why.
        We have a family source for whole hops. We were able to purchase these hops for an outstanding price. Hence our move to brew completely with whole hops. Well at least 95%. We will be purchasing T-90's from Hop Union to increase our education on all the varieties of hops. And to produce more styles of beers than our Nuggets, Willammettes, Mt.Hoods and Cascades will allow. But for now we will focus on our four beers. (Golden, Pale, IPA, Stout)

First problem is we have no hop back. We did not budget for the additional cost of a pre manufactured hop back. I have picked up on some ideas here of a SS vessel, like a halved keg as a hop back. We have considered using one of our 7bbl horizontal FV's as a hop back. But fermentation capacity is too important to us. We are also considering eventually installing a 2" ball valve cut into our kettle for hop removal. But nothing is free especially sanitary welding. And a "hop sock" for every addition seems the simplest for cleaning and downstream sanitation issues. And cheapest! And as rookies we want to stick as close to the KISS principle as possible. We have 750#'s of whole hops. For our first year projected 200 BBl output we are at a glut. With excess hops we feel like we can keep piling em' in until capacity becomes a concern if lack of utilization really hampers us.

Jephro the heat exchanger is what we have been lead to believe is the biggest read flag with whole hops. Erik, whom we purchased our system from used to work at Hale's back in the day. With a hot tub hop back they still felt it was required to break down their HE every day to deal with the HE whole hop debris issue. We want to avoid that if we can. No room for the hot tub either!! Ha Regardless we have resigned ourselves to an aggressive HE breakdown regime . And to bucketing out our hops. Rookies like us need to pay our dues! At least rookies with a SLIM budget

I like the laundry bag idea Jephro! May not be ideal or where we will be forever, but its just good to know its been done. Looks like I need to find some organic cotton laundry bag suppliers! Google here I come.

Any leads, additional info a "sock filter"? We are a tri-clamp, SS elbows/extensions, brewers hose and pump operation.

cheers

Comment

The Sock Filter i have looked for (although not all that hard) and not found, we used one at a brewery i worked for in St. Louis. It had a 3' "spring-like" SS coil and a 1.5" TC gasket slipped onto the coil and a mesh "sock" that went over the coil. It sat inside the hose between the BK and HE. I have been told St. Pats was the source on that filter, but it's not on their website.

A Sock Screen Gasket may help you in this situation but the sock filter would be ideal. Try St. Pats - I can email my old boss and get some details if you can't find one and want to.
          other options I think the dairy industry uses them too.

You can always use your MT as a Hot Tub Hop Back

Originally posted by SRB
          they still felt it was required to break down their HE every day to deal with the HE whole hop debris issue

Holy Crap- that's dedication!
          Last edited by Jephro; 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Jephro what was the material of the laundry bags? Im paranoid about plastics. Though I have used plastic mesh materials in homebrewing....it just makes me nervous. I am pinning down some mesh cotton bags.

Great links...THX! Im working on hunting down an inline sock filter...Ill drop a note If I need to take you up on your email offer!

Comment

So GW Kent recommendation was a Streamline Strainer. Seems like the effective choice. Not inexpensive...$345 + shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB
                Jephro what was the material of the laundry bags? Im paranoid about plastics.
                You know it's been so long ago I'm really not sure. The owner/brewmaster brought them in and we used them. I'm sure it was probably some synthetic material. IMO that strainer looks like the way to go, it could probably be used as a mini hopback too.
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
                X