Carb Stone Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Stone Problem

So, I have my carbonation stone put together like normal and I hook up my gas to it and leave it for the night. My Co2 tank was pretty low so I assumed the tank would empty out. I had put only a 7 bbl batch of root beer in my 15 bbl bright tank, as a test for the beggining. I was gonna come in to work and give it a taste and make my second 7 bbls accordingly.

The next morning I come in and my gas line is filled up with root beer straight into my regulator, Co2 tank empty of course. My carb stone does have a one-way only valve inside of it and I am 99.9% sure I put it in correctly. I had about 15 pounds of pressure in the bright tank. I took the hose off sure enough, root beer is slowly pouring out of my hose hookup on the carbonation stone. I've used stones a lot but have never had this happen to me before. Any suggestions?
    I only have it filled with 7 bbls at the moment and I'd really like to fix this before I put the rest of the root beer in it. I'm sure if I put gas back into it, it will flow into and through the stone, but I can't trust backflow into my regulator again...very weird....any help would be awesome...sorry for the LONG explaination

Something is def not right with the check valve in the stone. It could have malt glued itself open. You will not know until you can take it apart. I would put a check valve on your regulator so at least the rootbeer will not flow into the regulator until you can get to the valve on the stone. Check the spring and seals in the stone valve when you can get o it. Godd luck.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks. I would hope it's not "malt glued" but you never know. It's only the second time I've used this stone. It's brand new and I cleaned it pretty well before this root beer. How would I go about getting a check valve for my regulator? Would a typical "hose shop" have this product? Again, Thanks for your help...
      Jon

Comment

Micromatic has them..The little ball valve on the bottom of most regulators is either a straight through or a ball with check. Sounds like yours is a straight through. Get a new one w/ check, pull the old one teflon tape up the new one and install. At least that will keep beer out of the regulator. Before you use that regulator again you may want to take it apart and clean all the beer out. Good luck.

Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
        X