Thread: Time to add the next level of filtration

Time to add the next level of filtration

We currently filter with a 7.5 s.m. Velo to ~ 5 micron. Flow rate is generally 70 bbl./hr. We bottle with a six-head 2006 Meheen so filtration between the BBT and filler is out.

What is the best method of filtration, downstream of the Velo, to achieve .5 micron? Pros/Cons...
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Quote Originally Posted by beertje46
    We bottle with a six-head 2006 Meheen so filtration between the BBT and filler is out.
    Why would that be? I've bottled with a 4-head Meheen with a cartridge filter between the BBT and the filler on a regular basis. Is the 6-head that much different? It was a pretty big cartridge filter (double cartridge about 4 feet tall), and we made sure the beer was really polished before we bottled (DE prefilter and sterile P&F post to get it down to about 1 micron). You don't want anything clogging your super expensive cartridge filter.

Sheet filter. Preferably one with stainless steel plates. This gives you the ability to sanitize with 180 degree water (the noryl plates will develop micro cracks over time). I have good success with the paul hs-400 sheets. You might want to filter with a finer grade of DE though. At 5 micron you will most likely blind the press before you blind the DE filter.

Kevin
    Last edited by Guestimate; 12-15-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    When all else fails, forget the hammer. It's time for explosives!

filtration.....

I agree with Gabe. Why can you not cartridge filter between brite and filler? If you can do it, find out what your hls/hr throughput is on your filler, and match a cartridge and housing to that speed. A 0.5 micron absolute single 30 inch cartridge should be able to do up to 5 hl/hr or so.
    Secondly, If you decide to go lower than 5 micron to the brite, you will have to match flowrate again. If, for example, you go to 1 micron, you will probably need at least 3 or 4 30 inch cartridges in a housing, and slow down your 7.5 sq m to at least 50 hls/hr.

Cheers,

Don