Smelly Cornies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly Cornies!

Sanitation aside, does anybody have a tried and true method for getting rid of sweet cola smell from old cornies?

heat, bleach, divosan activ...still smelly.

HELP!
    ________
    Swed
    Last edited by india_cmb; 03-05-2011, 12:40 AM.

I've used 180 degree water with about a 1/2 liter of sodium hydroxide with good results
    David Scarborough
    Brewer at large
    East coast USA

Comment

smelly kegs

Originally posted by india_cmb
      Sanitation aside, does anybody have a tried and true method for getting rid of sweet cola smell from old cornies?

heat, bleach, divosan activ...still smelly.

HELP!

I have used lot's of cornie's, but never was confronted with "sweet cola smell". Homebrewers to use this type og kegs, and I don't remember a posting about this.

Use a 5% Caustic solution (follow the safety instruction) and let's soak for a 1/2 h; followed by a StarSan sanitation. That should take care of it.
      Take all pieces, inlet - outlet, gasget, apart and soak and sanitize them to.
      If that does not help, drow your cornie keg in the dump.

Cheers

Fred

Comment

I soak overnight in PBW after complete disassembly, and then replace all O-rings. It seems to work great for me.

Of course, I scrub them out and sanitize before using them, but for converting from soda to beer, the overnight soak does the job.

Comment

Just a lurking homebrewer here who has cobbled together an assortment of cornies.

I found high strength H2O2 worked well on my worst offenders. I have access to 50% strength, but I believe restaurant grade is 35% and is easy to source. Might want to try some of that.

Comment

o rings

The smell is in the gaskets. Like practicalpants wrote, replace the gaskets. Clean the keg really well, including the draw tubes (find someone with narrow arms to get their arm in to scrub with 3m pad if you are too buff) but the smell will still be there unless you replace all the gaskets.

Comment

Working...
            X