Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homebrewing Counter Pressure Bottle Fillers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrewing Counter Pressure Bottle Fillers?

we do not bottle at out brewpub but i would like to be able to bottle up a few 12 or 22 oz.ers once in a while to share with friends or potential distributors.

i was thinking of purchasing a counter pressure bottle filler from one of the online homebrew suppliers.

anyone have any suggestions on a certain type?

Hell if you only want to do it occasionally I would just build one.

this guy has a pretty straight forward set up. And if you are going to do more than a bottle at a time, you can build multiple stations.

John

Comment

i dont mind building one..just dont know how good they work.
      good enough?

Comment

The design looks to be a good working design. But the best ones on the market are a little simpler and all stainless. Like this one...

Our Counter Pressure Bottle Filler allows you to easily bottle beer with the two-way valve and adjustable pressure relief. Counter pressure filling prevents carbonation loss and sediment in your bottles!

One three way valve and one adjustable bleeder valve are all you need. Just keep the beer very cold and you will be fine.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

This design built in all stainless fittings:

This method:
          Our guy Steve bottles beer with the KGB Designed Single Head beer filler. Simple operation, clean and quick.

Got me 220,000 + bottles filled by hand before we stepped up and bought a 4 head Meheen.

Comment

We sure like Blichmann's beer gun.

Sockeye Brewery uses two for seasonal 7bbl bottle runs.

Comment

It was my understanding that the "Beer Gun" is not counter pressure. Is this not the case? I am not knocking the beer gun, it is just two different methods of bottling.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Either way your exposing the volume left in the neck to atmosphere unless you Fob it to get a foam rise and then cap on the foam (think Meheen). Counter-pressure is supposed to control CO2 nucleation but on this small a scale its is relative and the Blichmann is just as fast. The Blichmann is much more intuitive and efficient IMO. It is a one handed operation. You insert the tube into the bottom of the bottle, pull the CO2 trigger to purge the bottle, then pull the opposite trigger to fill with beer, then you pull the tube above the beer fill, purge again with CO2, and then fob with the beer trigger and pass to a happy capper person to your side and go again. I love it!

Comment

Thumbs up to the Beer Gun. Wonderful device - effective and intuitive. Also, kind of a forgotten and underrated aspect of the design, its real easy to clean. If you're going to buy instead of build, definately the Beer Gun.
                  Kevin McGee

Healdsburg Beer Company
                  Sonoma County, California

"Because this town sure didn't need another winery."

Comment

my 2 cents..

I simply use a piece of polypropylene about 12 inches long cut at a 45 degress angle at the bottom with a #1 stopper at the top. Connect the poly to a short piece of tubing to your tap and fill bottles that way. No need buying a beer gun for me. That's the system I use to send out test batch samples to potential accounts, etc. (And of course take some home for quality control)!
                    Last edited by Geoff Logan; 12-31-2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Try to find a Melvico. I love mine.

Comment

Melvico is dead, long live Melvico!

These handy units were great. I have mine and have had to fabricate parts to keep it together but works great if you can find someone to part with one. The company that manufactured them is long gone.

I use it for competition beer and special bottlings at our brewpub.

Cheers,

Bill
                        V-50
                        Bill Madden
                        CEO and Brewer
                        Mad Fox Brewing Company
                        Northern Virginia
                        703.380.0622 cell

Comment

hey Bill - I also have a melvico but have been concerned with the block containing the beer line. I wonder if it sanitary after abuse with cleaners and use. Did you ever replace this part?

Tim

Comment

Melvico Block

Tim,

No, never replaced it but I have taken it apart to clean out each and every time I use it. I have replaced all the fittings to that block from plastic to stainless.

Cheers,

Bill
                            Bill Madden
                            CEO and Brewer
                            Mad Fox Brewing Company
                            Northern Virginia
                            703.380.0622 cell

Comment

If we were to bottle our beer using the Blichman beer gun, how long will the beer stay carbonated. It won't go flat will it?

Comment

Working...
                              X