Reconditioning Bungsided Sanke Kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconditioning Bungsided Sanke Kegs

So there are 2 types of Sanke "D" valves/spears for kegs right? One that has a lock ring which can be removed with a spear compression tool. Check.
    The other screws out? But how?
    I'm trying to recondition some old used bungsiders and can't get the spears out of the screw type kegs and can't seem to find a tool that helps. Anyone have experience doing this?
    Thanks

Bung Kegs

If I'm not misreading your post, the other is a ring that has three indentations around the inside lip. These are the kind that I use, and all you need to do is weight the whole thing down (fill it with water) and start wailing on it with a hammer and screwdriver. It unscrews. Eventually. Sometimes it's just a great big pain to break it loose.

Bill

Comment

I have used Linesman pliers. Open them up so the outside of the pliers lock against the pins on the spear. Hold the keg between your legs and twist. You may need a cheater bar (a pipe, vice grips, etc..) for the tough ones. This method could save your spear and gasket some damage and prevent an expensive and painful screwdriver extraction from your (insert body part here).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jephro; 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

Valid Point...

Well put about the whole screwdriver extraction bit. You know, these things happen.

Comment

I like a large crescent wrench spanning the jaws of the pliers.
          I often think of a short section of pipe with two notches cut out for the valve lugs. Either a pipe wrench on the pipe or a couple holes drilled through it for a rod handle like a car lug wrench.

Comment

If you are friendly with someone with a welder you could just manufacture an I shaped tool to turn them out with. Just make sure you measure twice because the twist out piece is a bit harder to cut even after welded to the handle. If you have a spear out take it with you just to check it.
            BJ Knoke
            Hub City Brewing Company
            "The Largest Microbrewery In Stanley, Iowa"

Comment

Not Sure

Thanks for the info guys, I think I have a different kind of valve in these suckers. Someone told me there are actually three types of locking mechanisms and that a brewer in my area has the tools to deal with all of them...
              Anyone seen these before?Click image for larger version

Name:	ValveStraight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	189507

Click image for larger version

Name:	ValveAngle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	189508

Comment

I have never seen one quite like that. From the second pic, it almost looks like there is a retaining ring in there. Are you sure they are threaded?
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

Playing with Scrwdrivers

Yeah, that was the kind that I was talking about. Be careful about getting impaled with a screwdriver, but generally I just work with the screwdriver lateral to my torso on the near inside of the ring. If it flies off, it usually goes the other direction.

On a side note, I've found that WD-40 really doesn't help.

Bill

Comment

keg tool

call Micromatic--- im sure they have spear removal tools for all types of kegs.
                    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
                    X