Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twist off caps on non twist off bottles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist off caps on non twist off bottles?

I recently got 17 boxes of twist off caps for a great deal. My question is what is the difference between twist off caps & non twist off caps? They appear to look the same as my pop off caps.
    Thanks for any info on this.

Caps

I think that it's just a difference of tensile strength.

Comment

I was wondering about that. I was thinking thinner gauge metal so it will conform around the threads. I sell homebrew supplies & they look just like my pry off caps i get from crown. My others say universal on the box.
      Thanks for the info!! If anybody esle has any other info i would greatly appreciate it.

These are actually really cool caps that look like the front side of a nickel. They were from a local brewery that went out of business a few years ago.

Comment

of bott

There may be a plate thickness difference between twist and pry crowns. You can measure with a caliper or a micrometer.

One major difference is the lubricity of the compound material. A twist off crown has a more lubricious compound so that it twists off with relative ease on a threaded bottle. Since you want to put a t/o crown on a pry off bottle this won't be an issue.

I would do the following:
        1. Contact the crown manufacturer and find out the differences and their recommendations for use.
        2. Fill a few cases of pry off bottles and crown with the twist offs. Then evaluate and compare to pry off crowns on pry off bottles. Do the t/o crowns leak? Do the t/o crowns, being more lubricious, turn when subjected to normal handling.
        3. Are the t/o crowns marked "twist off" or do they have that t/o arrow? You don't want people futilely attempting to twist off crowns from a pry off bottle.

From a functional standpoint I bet these crowns will be ok on a pry off bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Doyle
          3. Are the t/o crowns marked "twist off" or do they have that t/o arrow? You don't want people futilely attempting to twist off crowns from a pry off bottle.

From a functional standpoint I bet these crowns will be ok on a pry off bottle.
          I believe the poster is reselling these at a homebrew supply shop. All valid points though.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thanks for all of the great info. They do not indicate an arrow or say twist off.
            These are for homebrew & i capped a couple bottles & i could not even spin the cap. I have had caps that have been able to spin a little bit. I am about 99% sure they will work but i do not want to be responsible for a single beer lost. I will contact crown, thats a great idea.
            Thanks all, Brian - Flatfender Brewing Co.

Comment

I worked at a homebrew store in the past that regularly sold "overrun" caps, that were often meant to be twist off caps. In my experience, with the caps we used, they work just fine. They sometimes even said "twist off" but homebrewers don't care, they just want cheap caps! They sound like cool caps and I personally wouldn't hesitate to use them. Good find and good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X