Oak Aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Aging

When Aging beer in oak barrels, what is the optimal temperature that this should be done? I have 2 choices, my walk in, which is 36F, or in the brewery, which averages 60-65F.
    Just curious what others are doing.
    Zach Henry
    St. Elias Brewing company
    Soldotna, AK
    www.steliasbrewingco.com

not an expert but....

Im not an expert on this, but myself and other brewers that I have visited store at brewery temp 60-65. I hope this helps you out...

Comment

Both. Cold temps will squeeze the beer out of the wood, and warm will draw it in.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

oak barrels

I was more wondering if it would be detrimental to store the beer in the 60's for an extended amount of time.
        Zach Henry
        St. Elias Brewing company
        Soldotna, AK
        www.steliasbrewingco.com

Comment

I have stored beer in an oak barrel in my brewery for up to 4 weeks with no ill effects. I know others who store at brewery temperature for longer, alot longer, and the beer has been fine.
          Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
          Syracuse, NY

Comment

If you store it where the temperature goes through some swings, the oak character will develop faster and the temp swings drive the beer into and back out of the wood.
            -Lyle C. Brown
            Brewer
            Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Nobody seems to be leading you astray here. If you're more concerned about the beer microbiologically, store it cold/cool (unless you're making a sour ale, then leave it out). If you want more oak character either leave it out or move it in and out of the cold.

So...as usual...it depends.
              Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

oak Barrel Aging

We have been aging beer in bourbon casks at 60-65F for as long as a year or more and found that the extraction of the barrel flavors into the beer are better at this temp. We have also just done oak aging with some IPA's and other strong beers and had no ill effects at all. The oak acts as a protective environment for the beer even at room temp. It depends on the barrels origin also, but warm temps are best for flavor from the barrel. Cold temps for barrel aging aren't really worth the effort unless you are going to age it for years.

Michael Uhrich
                Carter's Brewing
                Billings, MT

Comment

Will at Cambridge Brewing in Cambridge MA has a ton of oak in his basement (more like crawlspace!) and it got HOT down there. Perhaps he's added some temperature controls down there more recently, but his wood aged stuff was great even when battling the heat.

Geoff
                  Geoff DeBisschop
                  Evolution Craft Brewing Company
                  Delmar, DE

Comment

Working...
                  X