Thread: Hop Pricing

Hop Pricing

Does anyone have any numbers on price per pound for Cascade, Styrain Gold, Simco and Northern Brewer?

prices on hops

2008 cascades on contract 18-20 per pound
    simcoe 20-22 a pound under contract

LDB

Ditto on our contracts. $22 on Ger. Northern Brewer. Although, now I'm seeing some people (on this forum) offer at lower prices.

we got contracted $17 Cascade and $16 for Centennial

My opinion

I personally think that spot market hops will probably be cheaper than hops bought under contract in 2008. German hops are plentiful and the numbers for the 2009 US hop crop were just as positive.

Last year I cooped with a group of brewers and we all bought hops from Germany at $15 a pound. I am currently finding pricing for Cascade around $18 a pound and Northern Brewer around $16.
    As always I am looking for a deal, as we all are. It is possible and likely that I will go with German hops again at least enough to supply me until the 09 crop comes in.

Is there any word about supplies of Styrain Gold? Love that hop!

I strongly doubt we'll see spot prices fall any time soon. The hop merchants would rather see some hops go unsold than to have prices back in the $4 to $8 range.

Lets face it the hops world is controlled by a few companies. Whether there's actual collusion or not it's in their interest to keep prices high. Imagine the phone calls from all the breweries they locked into multi-year contracts (many pre-paid!) at last year's prices if Cascades are $5/lb again. Even the few independent outfits are enjoying the current market, look at the prices on Puterbaugh's web page. No one seems eager to undercut the "competition".

It appears the hops "crisis" was way over-blown. Sure some varieties were unavailable, but everyone was able to get hops. All the "hops for sale" classified postings indicate many breweries found more hops than they could use, even in the midst of the "crisis". No one went out of business due to lack of hops, did they?