? for the brewers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for the brewers.

I just have a couple questions for those who are in the industry and have been through the process.

How many years did it take you to become a head brewer?( and if you can be specific, 1 year of washing kegs, 2 years as assistant brewer, etc...)

How many hours do you work?( i have read anywhere from a standard 40 to around 100) is that for real?

While you were making your way to the top, did you have to(or still have to) fill in around the restaurant,( waiter/waitress, bartend, janitor, etc..?) on top of your brewery duties.

I will appreciate any insight.
    Thanks

First there are two segments to breweries.

1. Packaging
    2. Brewpub/on premise

Sometimes both.

The brewing field varies and there is not "set" hierarchy for being a head brewer in relation to time put in.

100 hour weeks are not uncommon for smaller breweries and passionate brewers/owners.

Unless you have passion for beer, working long hours, being wet, and underpaid brewing may not be your best match, lol.

Comment

SC thanks for the reply, yea it seems as though this proffession is one of passion more than anything, i just dont understand how anyone can pay the bills if youre only making like 10$ hr for any extended length of time, unless you enter the industry early eneogh in life, or youre making that 10$ over 80hrs then youre doing allright. Lets keep it coming, id like some more input on this: ass brewers, packaging line, what do you have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Farfensnoker
        i just dont understand how anyone can pay the bills if youre only making like 10$ hr for any extended length of time.
        The key is not to spend more than you make.

Comment

Originally posted by WitsEnd
          The key is not to spend more than you make.
          Well you usually get free/really cheap beer so theres one expense you don't have to worry about

Comment

Wax on wax off Farfensnoker-son.

Be frugal, stay excited and learn everyday.

If you do something you love the money will come.
            Mark Duchow
            Brew Master
            Short Fuse Brewing Co.
            Chicagoland
            "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

Working...
            X