Hop Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Magic

Anyone have the (a) secret suggestion(s) for getting better aroma from using only pelletized hops? or is the ticket just to bag leaf hops and toss them in after the whirlpool?
    Is there an optimum time that is suggested?

Any help is appreciated
    Curious

Mash Hopping (adding hops to the mash), First Wort Hopping (putting hops into the kettle with the very first runnings), and Burst Hopping (getting most/all of the IBUs from additions with 30 minutes or less left in the boil) will all increase hop aroma (and flavor), even with pellet hops.
    You can also bag pellets and put them in the whirlpool for increased aroma.

Off course, the ultimate (IMHO) aroma addition would be dry hopping the beer, which works with pellets as well as leaf.
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

thank you

I will try dry hop with the pellets! should I be concerned about floating particles of from pellets? or will hop bags work?

Thanks for the help
      cheers

Comment

Hop bags will work fine.
        Alternately, the hop material from pellets settles pretty well.
        -Lyle C. Brown
        Brewer
        Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

I dry hop a fair amount of my beers with pellets, sometimes as much as 20 lbs. per batch. I don't filter many of my beers, either. I let my beers age a week or so at 33 degrees, then dump hops out of the bottom before I transfer. Never had a problem with floaties.
          Steve Donohue
          Brewmaster
          Santa Clara Valley Brewing

Comment

i was just wondering the same thing about getting "floaties" with a dry hopped, no finings, unfiltered beer.
            so basically if i can cool the beer for an extended period of time in the fermenter and just drop out the particles i should be ok with going non-filtered?
            my concern is that my brite tanks output are at the very bottom of the tank and anything that settles in the brite would make its way to the glass.

Comment

if you are really worried, filter it!
              and when I say filter, it can be a cheese clothes or an in-line trap filter.

We don't always have to filter to .45 micron you know.

Comment

Pellets are fine

Ibrewforyou,

Don't worry about the floaties, I use pellets for dry hopping my unfiltered IPA and they will settle out in the FV. Pull the hop plug before transfer. Some may make it to the BBT, but after a day they will settle to the bottom and stay put among the yeast layer. The first days' pours may have a few floaters, I just tell the patrons its a little somethin' extra - free of charge!

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

I Dry Hop (with pellets) in the BBT, i use a homemade standpipe (short peice of PVC stuck into the 90° on the bottom of the tank) Pull off the side port the first few days and then blow off the bottom and run from there.
                  Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
                  X