filling other breweries' growlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filling other breweries' growlers?

I searched for this thread, because I think it has come up before, but couldn't find it, so forgive me if it has been discussed before...

How many of you fill other breweries growlers when someone comes in your pub? How many of you only refill your own growlers?

When we first started up, I went to a party where someone had brought our beer. It was in another local brewery's growler, with just our label on the cap. I heard a lot of positive comments about the beer that night - and about the other local brewery! So I decided not to fill other brewery's growlers. We will swap out growlers at no charge, one of ours for the other brewery's one, and only charge the customer for a refill. But I, selfishly maybe, want to get credit for the beer that is in the bottle, good or bad. What is other people's policy on refilling growlers that don't have your brewery's name on them?
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

We don't do it for numerous reasons...not the least of which is labeling.
    BrewerTL

Comment

growlers

Likewise here.
      Steve Bradt
      Regional Sales Manager
      Micro-Matic Packaging Division
      Eastern United States and Canada
      sbradt@micro-matic.com
      785-766-1921

Comment

Same here...

We don't do it for that and other reasons...
        We will give you your deposit back in swap for that other breweries growler...which at least saves the deposit...

Funny that you had the exact experience that I always worried about...

some people complain...but we have to be protective of our brands! andif you explain that to them they usually understand...else I give them a pint glass and hope they leave happy!

Comment

We do it, but I slap a BIG label on the growler with our name, the name of the beer, gov't warning etc.... That way I'm covered legally for labeling requirements and it's very clear where the beer came from. I might make a point of covering the other brewery's name and logo.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

It has always been my understanding that some states prohibit filling others companies growlers, at least it was a convincing story to tell the patrons to make "the man" look like the bad guy. Not the case in WA though, as i was called out on it a few months ago, apparently we can fill anything that holds liquid.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

They are at our brewerys for a reason I dont know about the laws in each state but I will fill any container with a lid with my beer and charge by the ounce..Later folks

Comment

Speaking mostly as a consumer, I carry a growler in my trunk (with a couple ounces StarSan solution in it) for those times I am at a brewpub and want a growler.
                I use the sturdy fliptop type of growlers with the metal handle. I have had screwtop growlers leak before.
                I don't mind at all if a brewery wants to slap a label on the growler I bring, but I usually use a commemorative growler that does not have ANY brewery label.
                I will fill a growler at just about ANY brewery I go to that has beer I enjoy, and I cannot see buying a growler from each one. If every brewery I stopped at required me to buy a growler before I could get a fill, I would probably only buy growler fills from a few local brewerys, which limits my variety, and your sales, IMHO.

We'll see if I change my tune on this when I start brewing commercially in a month or so!
                -Lyle C. Brown
                Brewer
                Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

In our infant state here at SRB (40 days) We have been filling any growler that has a govt. warning printed on it. It appears to keep the travelling pub goer's happy....especially the ones that have fancy glass. For the ones with no label I tell them to write their congress member and call the ATTB.

90+% have been our glass so far.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB
                    We have been filling any growler that has a govt. warning printed on it. It appears to keep the travelling pub goer's happy....especially the ones that have fancy glass. For the ones with no label I tell them to write their congress member and call the ATTB.

90+% have been our glass so far.

We have had the same experience here. As long as the warning is on the container.

Jeff Lockhart
                    McClellan's Grill & Brewing Co.
                    Slainte,
                    Jeff Lockhart
                    Brew Master
                    Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

As long as its glass, its clean and holds liquid , we will pour our beer in it. Its the contents, not the container that matters...

Comment

If the container states the volume, government warning and will seal, I'll slap our label on in (self-adhesive sticker), fill it, and CHARGE 'EM! I'm guessing we're all in this to make a profit, right? Follow your state's and our country's laws and SELL THAT BEER. (check your ego at the door!)

my three cents (adjusted for inflation)

dave
                        Glacier Brewing Company
                        406-883-2595
                        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                        X