Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power requirements

Hello all,

I am looking at setting up a production brewery with 1st year annual capacity of about 1million litres. Double that by the third year. This brewery will bottle and keg with flash pasteurizer. Stream boiler and glycol cooling for unitanks. Regardless of the industrial zone I select, I will still need to upgrade the 3-phase power supply to the brewery. I would really like to do this only once. I would be grateful if anybody could recommend a level of power that would satisfy such a production capacity. The only text reference I have is from Kunze, "Technology Brewing & Malting", where 10 to 14 kWh of electrical energy/hl is stated.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

sincerely

brendf

I would reccomend you hire a brewing consultant to make sure you don't make any costly mistakes such as designing the brewery improperly.

Comment

Thanks dave,

Unfortunately brewing consultants do not really exist in my isolated part of the world. However, electrical engineers certainly do and they are very willing to charge a hefty fee for this kind of information. I guess I was kinda hoping somebody may have set up a brewery of similar size and may have a ball-park figure that i could work with. Power needs are the only things that i cannot cost / gauge.

cheers

brendf

Comment

Power needs????
        Loaded questions.
        Is the brewery set up? Easier then.
        If not, you have to decide on equiptment. LPG, electric, single phase, 3 phase, ????, for your production projections, Then check name plate for ratings (look or ask around). Do you calculation and add at least 10% to that, as the "fudge factor". Than it will still be worth while to have a trusted electrical "engineer" or two to confirm your numbers.

Matt

Comment

Power demand

You need 1,16 W to heat 1 litre of water 1 degree celsius. Example: for my gas burner with a efficiency of 92%, gross effect is 150 kWh. To heat 2000 litres from 6 degrees celsius to boiling it will take (1,16W*(100-6)*2000/1000)/(150*0,92)=1,58 hours.

If you have not, decide which size of the brewery you need so you know how many brews/week you need to do to meet your target of 20.000 hl. I donĀ“t know, but you will need at least a 50 hl brew house. The calculation above can be used for power needs for refridgeration too. Invent all your electricity needs, motors for pumps, ventilation, agitators, augers, mill and more. Energy needs for heating and cooling and energy needs for heating or cooling buildings.

Make a working schedule where you can see how much energy you need at a specific time. Than you can see when your energy need is at peak. Is it possible to change the schedule to lower the peak but not to lower the brewery out put?

In my case it was good learning to understand when and where the energy is consumed. After that you must check with a brewery consultant or at least with an other brewery in the same size, same production/year, same kind of equipment. Remember that the energy demand is dependent on well water supply and temp., outdoor temp. and most of all the efficency in each application.

Comment

Working...
          X