Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unfiltered beer... how long are you conditioning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfiltered beer... how long are you conditioning?

For those of you who don't filter... how long are you conditioning beer in the brite before packaging? With or without finings? Just looking to get a sample of opinions. Also interested in knowing how many fermenters and brites you use. Thanks.
    Last edited by krantul; 05-05-2009, 06:55 AM.

three to four weeks from brew day and no finings. Yeast is good for us and the beer.
    COAST Brewing Company

Comment

We produce a full range of beer styles without filtering. We use separate fermenter and conditioning tanks (6 of each), no finings. Without going into detail for each beer, our ales average approximately 2 weeks of post fermentation conditioning, and lagers about 5 weeks.

Comment

We don't package but I usually condition 3-5 days after fermentation using Bio-Fine Clear (hydrated silica), to acchieve very clear results in the glass.

Jeff
        Slainte,
        Jeff Lockhart
        Brew Master
        Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

We use Bio Fine Clear as well and have brite, dry hopped IPA, in the bottle in 16 days. The beer carbonates and clarifies for two days in the brite before packaging.
          Ted Rice
          Marble Brewery
          111 Marble Ave NW
          Albuquerque, NM 87102

Comment

Well...it depends

...on a lot. What yeast? Tank dimensions? Beer Style? We can produce american pale ale with the right yeast that is bright (enough) in about 2 weeks but I've seen it take a month and a half with different yeast strains.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

most of our beer is unfiltered. i have the luxury of time in order to chill the beer in the mid 30F's for 7 to 10 days and drop yeast every other day. most of the ales are with 1056 yeast so flocculation is good.

my problem is with my serving tanks. the serving port is at the very bottom of the tank so what yeast that makes it over to the cooler settles to the bottom and seems to really cloud up the beer (a little more chunks in the glass than "my" public likes).

my question is with finings... if i wanted to start experimenting with them. what is the best procedure?
              would i have to add them in the fermenter because it has a racking port?
              if i put them in the serving tank wouldn't they drop down and plug the outlet?

this is my first exposure to finings. i am all for unfiltered beers but would like just a little more clearity. after reading alot of older posts i am kinda confused on the right way to use them.

thanks

Comment

Brewingnewbie,

If your only problem with beer clarity is having flocculated yeast mix with the beer while exiting the serving tank then try using a stand pipe in each serving tank.

A stand pipe is just a short piece of SS pipe/tube that closely fits into the hole of your serving/cleanout port. The top edge of the standpipe (for a server) should be about 1-2" above the bottom of the tank. You can use an O-ring to seal the standpipe in place. It's easily removed when cleaning, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X