Scratches in fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches in fermenter

What's the best way to remove scratches in the fermenter?
    Last edited by BigMuddyBrewing; 05-06-2009, 10:07 AM.

sandpaper?

Maybe try 150+ grit sandpaper - and then passivate?

Comment

I would expect that 150 grit would do more damage than good. I would try ultra fine paper for automotive use. Most places carry up to 2000 grit which will polish to a very high sheen.

Mike
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Depends on how deep they are. Buffing with a fine-grit compound will be the least trouble for superficial scratches. If you need to dig in a bit, I would recommend silicon-carbide, wet-or-dry paper with soapy water. Start with the smallest grit you can use effectively, no coarser than 400 under any circumstances. Take it up to 600, then 1,000 or 1,200, then buff. Assiduously clean away all the residue after each step so you don't grind coarser particles into the metal from the previous treatment. Your patience will be rewarded.

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback!

Thanks for the great feedback!

Comment

Try a unitized wheel from 3M. They come in different grits and are made for taking scratches out of stainless. Some leave a 3a or 2a compatible finish. These use no compound and need no pasivation when finished.

Comment

Are your scratches deep, or just minor surface imperfections that may be the same depth as the surrounding metal finish, only brushed in a different direction so that it is noticeable? Scratches may be OK, but gouges should be ground out. Most brewers tend to overestimate stainless steel finishes. Can't tell you how many brewers are adamant about not touching the interior of a tank with a 3M scrubbie for fear of leaving "scratches". In fact, this is the best way to obtain a superior finish on stainless. A standard 2B finish is obtained via cold rolling. It cannot be exactly duplicated by grinding, polishing, or buffing. That said, it is a fairly rough finish. Many (most?) equipment suppliers leave the interior at 2B and back-grind & polish the welds. The "equivalent" grit to a 2B finish is less than 150 grit. 3B is about 180 grit. #4 finish is about 240 grit. Unless you have mirror surfaces on the inside of your fermenter, I wouldn't go beyond 240. And this may be overkill compared to a 2B finish on the rest of the tank interior. Good luck!
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
              X