No announcement yet.

Anybody using a double-mash procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody using a double-mash procedure?

If so, I'd love to compare notes as I tweak my process. I've been doing it a few years and can share my experiences. I have a typical mash/lauter tun and a direct-fire kettle. Our top-selling beer utilizes rice and two & six row malts. There must be some novel approaches, techniques and ideas from which I could learn something. I can always do better. PM me for specifics. Thanks for any help!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

double mashing procedures are pretty well laid out in Practical Brewer, though I would worry about using your kettle as a cereal cooker, as it may be pretty tough to pump the mash back out, and then clean in a timely fashion. but hey - you can always try.
    John Gillooly
    Brewmaster
    Drake's Brewing Co.

Comment

Hey Snake! We have minimal problems with the kettle pumping the cereal. Just trying to figure out how to liquefy the rice better (amongst many other things). I've read the Practical Brewer chapter and have no issues there. A Textbook of Brewing; and Brewing and Malting Science, too. As long as we attend to it without letting the cereal dry on to the kettle, cleaning is a snap during our second rest.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
        Hey Snake! We have minimal problems with the kettle pumping the cereal. Just trying to figure out how to liquefy the rice better (amongst many other things). I've read the Practical Brewer chapter and have no issues there. A Textbook of Brewing; and Brewing and Malting Science, too. As long as we attend to it without letting the cereal dry on to the kettle, cleaning is a snap during our second rest.
        I suppose if getting the rice liquified is your biggest problem, I'd crush the hell out of it from the start - powder it. though I could see that being obnoxious, as you would have to re-set your mill. maybe buy a cheap second mill?
        John Gillooly
        Brewmaster
        Drake's Brewing Co.

Comment

Rice porridge liquifier: http://www.robotcoupeusa.com/product...zoom.php?id=69

Nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure

Comment

Working...
          X