No announcement yet.

cleaning heat exchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a similar strainer, it is actually a grape seed strainer sold by St. Pat's out of Texas. It has helped immensely. Even with a 1.5bbl brew length those sock screen gaskets blind immediately and repeatedly.
    Also, in addition to Jephro's pulsing suggestion, how about switching the direction of flow during CIP a few times?
    Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

WP Sluff

Gabe,

You make a good point in regard to "Whilrpool Sluffing". Because we are unaware of the WP hop pile, it is difficult to determine whether one procedure, or piece of equipment, will work better over another.
      Todd Malloy
      Director of Brewing
      Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
      Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

cleaning the other part

This is a similar question I thought would be worth asking here...
        Does anyone clean the water side of their heat exchanger?

I have a 2 stage heat X and use a sediment/chlorine filter for the 1st stage, but we have pretty hard water. It seems like it is increasingly harder for me to keep the temp. where I want it during knockout even though the glycol is super cold and always topped up. Is it possible that I have hard water deposits that are reducing the effectiveness of the water side? Would an acid CIP help?
        Thanks!

Comment

Yes, definitely. Just make sure that the acid is suitable for removing the hard water scale and will not corrode stainless - in other words, not phosphoric as it will form insoluble calcium phosphate, and not hydrochloric as it is liable to attack stainless. Which pretty much leaves Nitric (does anyone still use sulphamic ?? This used to work pretty well, but tended to foam like crazy.) Alternatively, a high EDTA material should do the trick as well.

Frequency ? - this really depends on how fast the plates scale up, but I would expect no more than 3 monthly except in high carbonate / bicarbonate areas, in which case you should be treating with sulphuric (or possibly phosphoric) first and ensuring it is degassed and allowed to precipitate out the solids before passing through the H/Ex
          dick

Comment

Strainer

This a new link to the in line strainer.

Comment

Working...
            X