small brewery production statistics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small brewery production statistics?

I've tried googling everything I could think of. I'm wondering if there are statistics reported somewhere out there that summarize the annual production of small microbreweries. I have found some of the bigger numbers (15k - 200k) but what about the local production breweries AND brewpubs? Anyone know where a guy goes to find this stuff out, or do you just pick it up word-of-mouth over time?

I'm interested to know if smaller production breweries (1,000 - 5,000) are making it when so many say they cannot.

May-June New Brewer magazine

You can't find it for free - but it's all there in the May-June issue (Annual Industry Review Edition) of The New Brewer magazine published by the BA. Not sure what a single copy would cost, maybe $20 or so w/ shipping. A subscription these days costs $85 for 6 issues and if you're serious about starting a brewery, you should at least join the BA as an Individual member at $155. That includes the subscription and also lets you join the BA Brewers Forum (daily email) where you can get questions asked or find out early about equipment for sale, brewers for hire, etc.
    I used to work there and part of my job for the better part of 14 years was to put together all those numbers - so I know they are thorough and more complete than you'll find anywhere else. Those guys do a great job over there at BA and others may want to chime in on that note. I could be a little biased because I used to work for them.
    I talk to brewers of all sizes in various parts of the country in my current role (selling hops, glassware, tap handles and yeast) and find that it's tough to generalize by size, or by region, how craft brewers are doing these days. Many are indeed struggling, or hurting. Many more are hanging in there and doing fine and will weather this slowdown. Still there are plenty who are growing rather nicely, and some growing faster than they expected, believe it or not! Anyways, buy (or borrow) the May-June New Brewer for all of that data.
    David Edgar
    Mountain West Brewery Supply, Inc., representing:
    * Chrislan tap handles
    * Rastal glassware
    * White Labs
    303-402-9158
    david(at)brewsupply.biz
    blog: http://businessofbetterbrewing.com/
    twitter: http://twitter.com/BrewerySupply

Comment

I think David's right. Aside from talking to brewers, this NB issue might give you some insight.

That being said, the beauty of this industry is we come in all different shapes and sizes. What works (or doesn't) for me might or might not work for you.
      BrewerTL

Comment

State Liquor Board

When I wanted to find out the local sales numbers in my state I contacted my state's liquor control board. It took them a couple weeks to get me the data but eventually sent me three years worth of sales numbers for breweries in my state. the numbers were based on reported taxes.

Joel

Comment

thanks for the idea, joel - i guess va abc would have that info somewhere. . . . . .

Comment

Working...
          X