Beer Gun Bottling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Gun Bottling?

Has anyone had any luck filling bottles with a BEER GUN , or a counter-pressure filler(like the homebrew ones). I want to start bottling small amounts, on a small budget.

hand bottling

I run a 7bbl brewpub in upstate NY and I've filled growlers with a homebrew counter pressure filler with great results on quality and beer loss (as in NO beer loss). Those growlers went out to local stores with great shelf life (6 months on filtered beers). I got our filler from foxx equipment for like $70. It is already setup for pry top bottles (12oz, 22oz) and with the purchase of a slightly larger stopper it is retro fit to do growlers. I highly recommend it for cost effective, clean, oxygen free hand bottling. And it wasn't too time consuming either. I could fill 5BBL of growlers in an eight hour day including setup and clean up, completely by myself. The bottles were pre cleaned and sanitized though. I say go for it!
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

The Blichmann beer gun is not a counter pressure filler. It just simply purges the bottle with co2 prior to filling. I just wanted to make this clarification. I used it for homebrewing and filling samples, it is really simple and you get consistent fill levels with it. I know a local brewery that is using it as their primary bottle filler. I see their beer all over and they seem to be doing a good job.

Comment

Do you have a contingency plan in place for when you can't keep up? Happened to me, but now we've got a meheen that we run.

Here's how we used to do it:
        KGB Bottle Filler
        or for our christmas beer
        Kinda makes me misty eyed for the old days...

Dave

Comment

I use the BeerGun for bottling for competitions (homebrew), as I keg all my homebrew these days. It makes bottling very fast and simple, and I can purge the bottle of CO2, as JMB stated.
          I do encounter some foaming with higher carbonated beers (my Saison was a PITA!).
          I would recommend carbonating a few PSI above what you want in the bottle, as you will lose some during transfer, but then pushing with a low pressure (5-8 PSI) during the actual fill.
          -Lyle C. Brown
          Brewer
          Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Beerking, thanks for reminding me... Use 1/8 tubing with a long span (10 ft). This will help reduce any foaming issues.

Comment

Beergunner

I too use the beer gun for bottling competition brews and used it extensively when homebrewing.
              I find that depending on the beer, I get just as much shelf life as a 6 head meheen we ran as long as I was capping on foam with the beergun.

Ditto on over-carbonating a few PSI and it helps to have a friend capping!

Comment

Originally posted by JMBrewer
                Beerking, thanks for reminding me... Use 1/8 tubing with a long span (10 ft). This will help reduce any foaming issues.
                If you buy the gun with the kit that most shops offer, I believe that is what they send you. I know the liquid tubing that I got is at least 8' long, maybe 10'.
                -Lyle C. Brown
                Brewer
                Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by rudge75
                  Do you have a contingency plan in place for when you can't keep up? Happened to me, but now we've got a meheen that we run.

Here's how we used to do it:
                  KGB Bottle Filler
                  or for our christmas beer
                  Kinda makes me misty eyed for the old days...

Dave
                  Hello rudge75,

Would you be so kind of telling me Where did you get your KGB bottle filler?

Best Regards.

Comment

Working...
                  X