Thread: delivery truck???

delivery truck???

Whats everyone using for deliveries? I've got a tight budget and am deciding between a used cargo van with less than 2000lbs cap or a used uhaul truck with 3500lbs cap. Presently I use a chevy blazer. youd be surprise at how much you can fit in a blazer.

I have a used Dodge van that was a Verizon utility van in its previous life. Lots of space for kegs and cases, festival gear, etc. Decent load capacity, too. Because of the weight of all the equipment it used to carry, it's rated for about 4500 pounds. I can load at least 25 full half-barrel kegs and not drag the van's ass down the road. Plus, Verizon has a full-time fleet service shop and they take very good care of their vehicles. Not sure you could land a Verizon van, specifically, but see if you can find one that used to be a part of a corporate fleet - phones, utilities, etc.

I would avoid that U-Haul truck. Those things are abused by the people who rent them and U-Haul historically has a bad reputation for taking care of their vehicles.

On a side note, I noticed that someone is selling a used ambulance down the street from our brewery. I wish I had the spare cash, because...well...delivering beer in an ambulance, man! There's all kinds of cool shit you could do with that thing!
    Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
    Strangeways Brewing
    2277-A Dabney Road
    Richmond, VA 23230
    804-303-4336
    www.strangewaysbrewing.com

van

Cargo van with plywood for floor shielding. We also have a refrigerated truck that we use on big/long distance deliveries. Sure it's nice to have a refrigerated truck, but for short deliveries around the metropolitan area, it's a lot easier to drive the van. Keep in mind if you go for a larger vehicle, you may need to get another license.

Quote Originally Posted by tsewong73
    On a side note, I noticed that someone is selling a used ambulance down the street from our brewery. I wish I had the spare cash, because...well...delivering beer in an ambulance, man! There's all kinds of cool shit you could do with that thing!
    Now, THAT'S funny!
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Once knew a brewer who delivered beer in an old hearse. It had a sliding 'tray' that simplified loading/unloading (as I'm sure it did with coffins) and the clearance height was perfect for working with half barrels. Snug,yes, but enough room to avoid pinching your hands on the roof.

Pax.

Liam

I found this diesel one ton handicapped van with 66K on eBay for $3500. Has been working great for us for 5 years. The hydraulic lift is an added plus.
    http://www.depotstreetbrewing.com/whatsnew.html

Quote Originally Posted by mfos
    I found this diesel one ton handicapped van with 66K on eBay for $3500. Has been working great for us for 5 years. The hydraulic lift is an added plus.
    http://www.depotstreetbrewing.com/whatsnew.html
    That's awesome! Totally jealous.

Yeah! nice van!!