No announcement yet.

Plastic taste in my beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Micromatic lines are in. The beer is tasting about a MILLION times better. Plastic taste is gone, it's pouring well, and coming out a perfect 2.4 degrees. So far, so good!

Comment

Thats got to feel good. Enjoy the fresh pours!!

Comment

N2 Generator Odor Issues?

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        You've eliminated every other possible source of the taint? Leaking diaphragms from beer pumps? CO2 or N2 issues? Does the beer taste right coming directly from the keg? I've installed hundreds of meters of Micromatic barrier lines without ever having a problem. And they've done thousands, if not tens of thousands of installations expertly. I'll vouch for them and they will stand behind their product. Specify a proven product and don't leave anything to chance. Hope you get this worked out. Good luck!
        Any thoughts on what a possible N2 issue could be? We've noticed this plastic-rubber smell in all of our new lines as well. When turning off the N2 Generator and bypassing with a reserve tank the odor goes away. Waiting to see if it comes back.

Comment

Could be lots of things.

If you're using an oiled compressor for your N2 generator, I'd start there. But the process is to eliminate those sources until you pinpoint the problem. Couldn't really diagnose your problem without crawling all over it to see what you've got. Especially with an N2 generator.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Understood and thanks for the reply. Even with the direct N2 source the rubber odor-taste has come back. Assuming it's the lines as the problem goes away with constant pouring, and returns each morning after the beer has sat in the lines for several hours. They are Micromatic barrier lines but sounds like they occasionally, while rarely, have manufacturing issues with softer lines having this problem.

Only other thing I've read about is that the plastic lock and ball in the couplers could be the problem, but assuming that's not it due to the fact that it goes away with constant pouring.

If you're using an oiled compressor for your N2 generator, I'd start there. But the process is to eliminate those sources until you pinpoint the problem. Couldn't really diagnose your problem without crawling all over it to see what you've got. Especially with an N2 generator.

Comment

Beer pumps?

Beer pump diaphragms might also be source. Or possibly sight glass tube on serving tanks? I've never had a problem with Micromatic, but I suppose it could happen. Wouldn't think that it could be rubber gaskets on couplers or keg valves unless off-brand made in a third world country.....
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

No beer pumps. I've switched out the vinyl lines jumping from the keg to our FOBs. Draft technician is guessing it's in these.

Beer pump diaphragms might also be source. Or possibly sight glass tube on serving tanks? I've never had a problem with Micromatic, but I suppose it could happen. Wouldn't think that it could be rubber gaskets on couplers or keg valves unless off-brand made in a third world country.....

Comment

Same issue

I am having the exact same problem. New micromatic lines and the first few pours have a plastic taste and then disappears after a few pours. I hate pouring out a beer from each line before I can serve. Did you solve your issue?

Originally posted by diamondbackbeer View Post
                  Understood and thanks for the reply. Even with the direct N2 source the rubber odor-taste has come back. Assuming it's the lines as the problem goes away with constant pouring, and returns each morning after the beer has sat in the lines for several hours. They are Micromatic barrier lines but sounds like they occasionally, while rarely, have manufacturing issues with softer lines having this problem.

Only other thing I've read about is that the plastic lock and ball in the couplers could be the problem, but assuming that's not it due to the fact that it goes away with constant pouring.

Comment

Working...
                  X