Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a great tip for your fellow brewers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
    A couple I've done...

When Sparging - make sure to open the valve into the kettle, otherwise the grant overflows very quickly.

Close the valve to drain the sight glass on your SV's when CIPing. Your pumps will thank you.

When dry hopping into a FV I recommend using a cut keg. You add hops to the keg, then let some beer from the FV into the keg - allow the hops to get wet, then shoot the whole mess into the FV using CO2. It works great and you don't have to climb a ladder every time you need to dry hop.
    Can you elaborate on this please? Sounds like a great idea. How do you use CO2 to push the hop/wort mix into the FV?

Thanks,

James

Comment

Take off your brewery's gear, put on a hat, and sit at the bar a couple nights a week. Go down the line and drink your beers in the setting your customers do, and eavesdrop on the people around you.

When you have had enough of that, strike up a conversation with the rando's that are drinking your beers and paying your bills.

Gotta keep stuff in perspective, the whole "Ive seen how the sausage is made" thing can really start to make you forget why you make beer in the first place!

Comment

Burn Prevention

For any triclamps that could cause injury if accidentally removed (ie on the tank side of HLT or caustic tank valves), especially those which are virtually permanent, replace the wingnuts with a stack of two hex nuts.

Do it now.
        Last edited by MakeBeerNotWar; 02-08-2014, 07:13 PM.

Comment

- Learn how to do anything, and being willing to.

- Clean as you go,, hey they clean some more

- Don't listen to head phones

- If using heat exchanger inline while boiling ( to sanitize it ) don't be cooling it at the same time. Unless you want to see which is stronger your chiller or your heater. makes me think of a xmen movie clip

- Develop a check list, follow it, check it all the time.

Comment

Safety first, second, and third!

-When operating keg washers and bottling lines, wear ear plugs! I've been brewing for 8 years and CO2 release/compressed air, and machine noise have DEFINITELY damaged my hearing

-Wear frickin eye protection when packaging and anytime you deal with hot liquids, chemicals or contents under pressure. I've seen tiny droplets of PAA and caustic on my specs and you best believe thats a medical emergency if you take a direct hit. And don't clean the things off with your sweaty shirt, invest in some optical wipes/cloth and keep them at your handy, highly visible, centrally located first aid station. Number 1 reason I see employees reluctant to wear them is cause they are scratched.

-NEVER open a valve without knowing what's behind it.

-NEVER run caustic cleaning on a tank filled with CO2, the caustic pulls CO2 into solution so fast it can create a vacuum and collapse the tank

Think about what can hurt you, other people, equipment, and product in that order.

Be safe!

Be proactive!

Its fun until someone gets hurt.

Cheers

Comment

Never stick your fingers any place you wouldn't stick your wiener. Works in many different aspects of life.
              Jon Sheldon
              Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
              Bugnutty Brewing Company
              www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Working...
              X