Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a great tip for your fellow brewers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple more off the top of my head.

Dry hopping:
    Make sure the beer is done or almost done fermenting, or you can end up with not just pellets up your nose, but a face full of trub.

CIP:
    Don't forget to close the CO2 valve on the CIP arm. Nothing's more fun than shooting hot caustic across the brewery when you turn on the pump, especially if you're in the line of fire (did this yesterday, actually).

--Gabe

Comment

advise for brewers

Marry a woman who makes Good money. Odds are, you won't!

Comment

Cip

CIP:
        Don't forget to close the CO2 valve on the CIP arm. Nothing's more fun than shooting hot caustic across the brewery when you turn on the pump, especially if you're in the line of fire (did this yesterday, actually).
        Turn on the CIP pump before you add caustic to ensure you have not made any mistakes in your cleaning set-up. Better to be hit with hot water than hot caustic!

Comment

I've done far too many dumb things to list them all here. My tip instead would instead be:

Never settle for making pretty good beer.
          Strive to make the most delicious beer possible.
          Never stop trying to make better beer.
          The results of your efforts will become your reputation, and follow you if you ever want to get a more satisfying position, or even just make enough money for a bank loan someday.

Or, instead, if you at least make pretty good beer, you could always find a pretty good job in some beer production facility.
          It is your call.
          It's not for me to judge.

That and...
          Only use NSF buckets in the brewery, because they make clean up so much easier.
          Last edited by Moonlight; 08-05-2009, 05:20 AM.

Comment

doverbrewer, you hit the head on the nail (as my wife would say it!)

A tip someone gave me before I made the jump:

Brewing beer is easy, selling it is a bastard.

And of course:

Don't stick your head in the fermenter!

Brew on brothers...
            Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
            Chairman of the Beer
            Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
            Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
            W: www.lovibonds.com
            F: LovibondsBrewery
            T: @Lovibonds

Comment

quickie

-get a pH meter
              -develop good relationships with your suppliers
              -develop good relationships with your spent grain guy/gal/group
              -always keep plan B in mind
              -Use your ears. First thing in the morning, how does the brewery sound? All pumps sound ok, no unusual noises or vibrations? Is there an unexplained hissing sound etc.
              -Have backups of critical parts - gaskets, fittings, tubing, valves, etc. A spare pump would be nice....
              -There is always something to do...but don't stay at the brewery 24/7
              -Instead of dumping your acid/sanitizing cycle immediately down the drain, let it out over the floor (assuming it can take it). Good way to get an extra cleaning done.
              -Clean your draught lines (long-draw) every 2 weeks.
              -CYA (Cover Your ---)

Comment

Remove the hose from the valve...NOT the valve from the tank/kettle. Good way to get burned or frozen in the cold room.
                Slainte,
                Jeff Lockhart
                Brew Master
                Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lockhart
                  Remove the hose from the valve...NOT the valve from the tank/kettle. Good way to get burned or frozen in the cold room.
                  If you do make this mistake (I've done it once or twice) OPEN THE VALVE before attempting to replace it. You'll think you're just dumping more liquid, but you'll be able to quickly replace the valve and close it.

Comment

Or make sure from the start that it's a lot harder to disconnect from the wrong side of the valve. It's always best to assume that everyone is an idiot, including yourself. Nobody's smart at 5 AM or 11 PM or any time when you have seven other things to tend to.

Comment

Dont Drink 5 pints of IPA and expect to get up early the next morning to brew. Do say to yourself when the alarm goes off "time to make the donuts!" And then laugh a little bit. Go into work and brew anyway, and get a cheesesteak for lunch.
                      Buy yourself some good gel inserts for your boots- your feet will thank you.
                      Polish the tanks and wash the windows. Its PITA, but it makes YOU look good too.
                      Make sure you have insurance including disability, stuff happens.
                      Ignore what others say about your beer, good or bad. Be your own critic.
                      Ill second on marrying a woman who makes good $$. Know where I can find a NEW one??
                      Last edited by Ted Briggs; 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM.
                      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Kegging hot wort for later priming

If you fill kegs with boiling hot wort for priming and propagation later, leave some head space and charge it with 15psi CO2. If you fill it all the way, when the wort cools (and thus contracts in volume), it creates an absolute vacuum, which will suck in dust and everything that is riding on it.
                        Dylan Goldsmith
                        Brewer
                        Captured by Porches Brewing Company
                        Saint Helens, Oregon

Comment

Terms and conditions

Is there some where in the forums where a nube can find out what the abreviations mean?

"I opened the PRV attached to the CRV and burned my ASS"

thanks all keep up the good work
                          Last edited by mariposabrewing; 09-05-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Always double check that you have an available fermenter BEFORE you mash in!

Comment

Originally posted by mariposabrewing
                              "I opened the PRV attached to the CRV and burned my ASS"
                              PRV = Pressure Relief Valve
                              CRV = Crew Recovery Vehicle
                              ASS = Asymptotic Stench Source

Hope this helps.
                              Gregg

Comment

1.) If you use mostly American 2-Row base malt, make sure to adjust your mill gap before using Maris Otter as a base malt to avoid turning it to cement in the Mash Tun. (Damn it! Dealing with this little treasure right now).

2.) Buy a cot. Bad brew days and shitty filter runs do happen.

3.) Set mouse traps (If needed). I just had two baby mice fall from the ceiling! Oops.

4.) Buy Insurance.

5.) Got to pile on the "Marry a money making woman (or man)" thing. How many rich brewers do you know?

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                X