Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a great tip for your fellow brewers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom

here is a wonderful tip
    if helping someone else that was running the DE Filter clean the DE filter make sure all the pressure is off the dome before pulling the safety pin then clamp latch!
    I did not !! result quick trip to ER and emergency surgery on my left hand 4 inch ripped gash to the bone and shattered my wrist maybe one more surgery
    The lesson from this? Write out all procedures and make sure everyone does everything the same way EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME DON’T GET IN A HURRY TO GO HOME AND SHORTCUT ANYTHING EVER

Fred
    Laughing Dog Brewing

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Dog
      here is a wonderful tip
      if helping someone else that was running the DE Filter clean the DE filter make sure all the pressure is off the dome before pulling the safety pin then clamp latch!
      I did not !! result quick trip to ER and emergency surgery on my left hand 4 inch ripped gash to the bone and shattered my wrist maybe one more surgery
      The lesson from this? Write out all procedures and make sure everyone does everything the same way EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME DON’T GET IN A HURRY TO GO HOME AND SHORTCUT ANYTHING EVER

Fred
      Laughing Dog Brewing
      Damn Fred! Hope you are doing a little better. Good tip though.
      Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Keep your Coffee Hot!!

Keeping your coffee warm with your Mash Tun

..yes, thats a 16oz quad soy vanilla

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-07_21.38.53.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	189741
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Just wanted to share with all you a pre-Halloween scare i had yesterday.

I had the CIP pump running a caustic cycle on a FV and just as i stepped around the corner into the office i heard a pop and a loud hissing sound. When i poked my head around the corner i saw a shower of caustic spraying from the outlet of the pump. Obviously i took shelter in the office until it finished spraying hot caustic all over the brewery but it scared the holy hell out of me. I will spare you my theories of how it may have happened but in my 11 years of professional brewing in 5 breweries with many brewers i have never seen a hose break free from what i was sure to be a properly seated clamp in that way. Fortunately i had just stepped out of range of the spray but from now on i will be double checking my clamps and pointing the elbow from the outlet of the pump towards a wall, or at least not in the direction i will be walking/working.

Anyway just wanted to share that in hopes it may prevent someone else from something similar, or worse, in the future. I know how easy it is to become over confident of your equipment and procedures.

Be safe out there
          Cheers

~jeff
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro
            Just wanted to share with all you a pre-Halloween scare i had yesterday.

I had the CIP pump running a caustic cycle on a FV and just as i stepped around the corner into the office i heard a pop and a loud hissing sound. When i poked my head around the corner i saw a shower of caustic spraying from the outlet of the pump. Obviously i took shelter in the office until it finished spraying hot caustic all over the brewery but it scared the holy hell out of me. I will spare you my theories of how it may have happened but in my 11 years of professional brewing in 5 breweries with many brewers i have never seen a hose break free from what i was sure to be a properly seated clamp in that way. Fortunately i had just stepped out of range of the spray but from now on i will be double checking my clamps and pointing the elbow from the outlet of the pump towards a wall, or at least not in the direction i will be walking/working.

Anyway just wanted to share that in hopes it may prevent someone else from something similar, or worse, in the future. I know how easy it is to become over confident of your equipment and procedures.

Be safe out there
            Cheers

~jeff
            YIKES!
            Funny, but this past year I have gotten in the habit of consciously NOT standing in front of my CIP pump's outlet when I switch it on. I have this vision of the hose popping off and hot acid jetting all over my legs!

Prost!
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

An ounce of prevention...

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
              YIKES!
              Funny, but this past year I have gotten in the habit of consciously NOT standing in front of my CIP pump's outlet when I switch it on. I have this vision of the hose popping off and hot acid jetting all over my legs!

Prost!
              Dave
              Yes sir, it has always been a thought in the back of my mind but has now moved to the front. If any of you have an outlet w/ a clamp and elbow on your CIP pump as most i have seen do, point that sucker away from your work area!! I also went through my manifold between the MT and BK and tightened all of the clamps, something i already do somewhat regurarly but will make it a point to so more often. The vibrations of a pump running will loosen anything threaded like clamps, screws, nuts and bolts over time.

A few weeks ago I also put a cap on the valve on the utility outlet on the manifold as i have always had a fear of being left open or failing when i start up a whirlpool. Just ask Teri Fahrendorf about how dangerous hot wort, or chems for that matter can be.
              Jeff Byrne

Comment

Don't talk or have your mouth open when squeegeeing the bottling room floor after a long run...especially when you're around the leak bucket area. I was talking yesterday and had a particularly large drop splash into my mouth. I've had a lot of nasty things happen to me at the brewery, but this one was particularly foul.

Comment

This reminds me of that fact that I have in the past turned on my pump briefly to check flow and verify solid connections without leaks before I added any chemical into the mix.

Just a thought as it might be a good procedure for some brewers out there.
                  Cheers,
                  Mike Roy
                  Brewmaster
                  Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
                  5123 Baltimore Ave
                  Hyattsville,MD 20781
                  301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
                  @franklinsbrwry
                  facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRoy
                    This reminds me of that fact that I have in the past turned on my pump briefly to check flow and verify solid connections without leaks before I added any chemical into the mix.
                    Not to take anything away from your procedure Mike but... The thing about my mishap is that I had already run a 25 min acid cycle w/ no leaks and then switched over to caustic which ran for maybe 2 min before the fail.
                    Jeff Byrne

Comment

forklift safety

i think we can all take a lesson from Klaus when it comes to safely operating a forklift.

Roger Greene

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Greene
                        i think we can all take a lesson from Klaus when it comes to safely operating a forklift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo
                        Hahahaha!!!

Comment

For a real instructional video, they missed a very important first step to driving any forklift. What should Klaus have done before driving off in the beginning? Anyone?

That's right! He forgot to secure his safety belt.
                          Last edited by gitchegumee; 05-12-2012, 01:17 AM.
                          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

High-visibility lock-outs on switches and valves along with a sign hanging at the access hatch to indicate there is a worker in a confined space that no one can easily see.
                            Regards,
                            Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
                            http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Comment

In the US, confined spaces require much more than this. Like a Scott Pack and a buddy outside the confined space with you on a harness and life line. Oxygen meter is also required. Unless you have a regular confined space entry program consistent with OSHA (that's lots of work), then forget about it. I am a firm believer that there is NO REASON to enter any confined space in a brewery. Everything should be proceduralized to avoid confined space entry. Just my 0.02.
                              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Know what and where the lock-outs are. Know how and when to use them. USE THEM.

Use GFCI breakers for everything that's near water, whenever possible. Have a talk with your electrician.

Think about what will happen if--when--Murphy strikes. I haven't seen a caustic shower from a dis-connected hose (yet), but I have seen one from a hose that lost its king nipple.

Be sure that the top fitting you're removing is on the fermenter you're cleaning--not the one beside it you just carbonated. Thank goodness we found that top fitting! Too bad about Verne's head....

Trust your senses. Use your eyes, of course, but also tune you ears and nose. Become intimately familiar with the sounds and smells of the facility when everything is going right, and be on the alert for any change. One employee pre-heating the mash tun reported to me that the HL "smelled funny". Yep, it smelled like refrigeration compressor oil. We had a 1-in-1,000,000 failure that resulted in compressor oil in the HL, and HL in the compressor. Dead compressor, but Verne saved us 10s of K$ in potentially ruined product. Too bad about that top fitting incident, Verne. We really do miss you.

Look out for the brewery cat when driving anything. Oh, well, there are lots of cats....
                                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                                X