No announcement yet.

Calcium Beyond Mash pH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far into the boil do you add minerals?
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by pbutlert View Post
      How far into the boil do you add minerals?
      I personally add them at the beginning of the boil. A head brewer from another brewery came by and said that I should add ca in the mash instead of the boil to increase my extract. I did that, and it did go up, but i don't feel that I got a good hot break (ordinary bitter). My mash ph was 5.2 (room temp) and I didn't check the boil ph. Ill check the ph of the finished beer and see how i did. In the future, I will split my ca additions between the mash and boil.

I do notice the thiness of the choc. milk stout I did, and i am wondering if it is because of the cacl i added to accentuate the malt profile. I add gypsum or cacl to my boil to accentuate hop bitterness or maltyness. I plan on changing my procedure to get the hot break i expect and raise the ph to 5.3 where i feel most comfortable. I think the ph was a bit low on the choc. milk stout, ill have to check that too.

Comment

Calcium Levels

Make sure you have 80-120 ppm in the mash tun. Half of you calcium will be lost in the mash. Recommended levels are 40-60 ppm in the finished beer.

Brendan
        Lb. Brewing Co.
        Hays, KS

Comment

so i dont think i saw the answer to this, maybe i missed it. if half your Ca ions are lost when you separate the grains from the wort, does that go for your negative ions as well? sulfate/chloride/etc?

Comment

I don't think you're loosing any negative ions while the Ca come out of solution.
            The Ca is falling out of solution because its binding to free phosphates and oxilates from the malt. Those won't bind negative ions being negative themselves.
            Manuel

Comment

Working...
            X