Thread: Beer stone in kegs - what's your favorite remedy?

Beer stone in kegs - what's your favorite remedy?

Bought a bunch o' used kegs. Upon tear down, beer stone is omnipresent. What chems/brands and methodology works best? Having not torn down kegs in the past, I find it amazing how much crap lingers. How often does one tear down after one tears down (aka, what's your tear down schedule post clean keg?).

In advance,

Many Thanks!

Just like any other vessel with beer stone....acid. I have used acid #5 from five star with good results. birko has a similar treatment that I can't remember off of the top of my head. If you have an automated keg cleaner(purge rinse caustic rinse sani) cleaner then run as usual the run a second time with the acid instead of caustic. Some brands of cleaning systems have an optional acid cycle where you can line in a vessel of acid and add it in the loop. check with you cleaning machines manufacturer for specifics.

Jon at 5 Star recommends doing Acid 5 followed by caustic/PBW without a rinse for stubborn beer stone. He says that cause small chemical reactions at the molecular level which kind of blast the stuff away. Repeat several times if needed.
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Just use a high Nitric/Phosphorus blend in your keg washer and it will disappear over time without the added headache of washing all of them multiple times all at once.

I use Birko Ultra Niter 2 quarts per Bbl With 1oz per Bbl of X-Puma Detergent additive drain don't rinse and follow up with a Cirtec CLQR CIP. This is the best stone treatment ever. I have used everything else & this is the best. Just my 2 cents.
    Mike Hall