Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on oak aging a Imp stout.

Hello all,

I'll be brewing a 9% ABV Russian Imperial Stout in the future and was wondering on different brewers opinions on oak aging. I was thinking of using 9 inch Infusion Oak Spirals with a dosage of 2 per Hectolitre and aging the batch for at least six month before serving. Any opinions on the subject would be helpful. EG: Am I using too much oak or not enough for a heavier style such as a Imp Stout?

Cheers,

Dave.

if you are planning on aging that long why not use real whisky or bourbon barrels? I am guessing this is due to sheer pain in the rear, but the taste you get from a used whisky barrel is phenomenal. Otherwise, I would say that would be plenty of spiral to get the desired profile. I would think that your not going to under or overwhelm a beer like that. I can taste test for you also

Comment

stout

If you don't have a whiskey barrel, try soaking the spirals in whiskey for a few days before putting them in the stout.

Comment

Originally posted by IPAMEASAP
        If you don't have a whiskey barrel, try soaking the spirals in whiskey for a few days before putting them in the stout.
        Right...far easier than dealing with whiskey barrels, and you get the same effect. Whatever you do, don't overdo the oak. I've tasted a lot of potentially great beers absolutely ruined by too much oak character.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

If I was able to get my hands on some barrels I would definatly try it however i'm located in British Colombia and am not sure if there any suppliers that ship here. If any Brewers out there wanted to go in on some let me know!

My brewpub also has a space problem so i'm not sure sure where I could store full barrels under decent conditions. I am planning on soaking the spirals in Bourbon for a period before adding them to the CT. Ok well that just about answers most of what I wanted to know so if anybody is in the area next year come on by for a try!

Comment

Working...
          X