Bottle Carbonation Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Carbonation Testing

We are a rum distillery and are about to start bottling a carbonated beverage in a 750ml glass bottle with a flip top and are looking for a carbonation testing device that would pierce the flip top. If anyone has any info on particular device would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Julie

these guys would be a good bet

Zahm & Nagel, crafting 100% American-made products for the brewing and soda industries since 1908. Producing carbonating and quality control equipment...

Comment

Aren't flip tops either ceramic or a very hard plastic ? I recon they would be as good as impossible to pierce.
      I would check with your bottle supplier how other customers of the same product check their carbonation levels.

Cheers,
      Jurriaan.

Comment

As above, the flip top may be difficult to pierce - depending on what it's like. Can you post a photo?

There are, however, a number of possibilities for checking in-bottle carbonation (and other gases, eg. DO2).

If you would like to PM me with more details I will be happy to advise!

Comment

I don't have any experience with these devices but page 5 of this Barby-Kuhner catalog:

looks like just what you're after, bottle pressure tester with thermo and rubber stopper.
          Clarke Pelz
          Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Originally posted by julie
            We are a rum distillery and are about to start bottling a carbonated beverage in a 750ml glass bottle with a flip top and are looking for a carbonation testing device that would pierce the flip top. If anyone has any info on particular device would be appreciated.

Thanks,
            Julie
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            I've seen Coca Cola tech's at a McDonalds using refractometers to indirectly measure carbonation levels. Hydrometers are not particularly useful. Determination of a small but crucial difference in the level of carbonation by a much smaller change in specific gravity before and after a change in co2 concentration simply isn't accurate enough to count on.

Comment

Working...
            X