Thread: density of pellet hops & wet pelletized hop volume?

density of pellet hops & wet pelletized hop volume?

I have two questions:

Does anyone know the density of pelletized T-90 dry hops.

Also does anyone know the volume displaced in the whirlpool by pelletized hops. So basicly I need to know if I add 1 lb of pelletized T-90 hops to a brew how much volume will it take up in wet form.

Thanks ahead for your answer and comments.

Tim

Density of T90 pellets

Tim,
    Couple of variables will alter the final BD number on T90 pellets.
    Raw material specifics such as oil and moisture content. Also the pellet size will change the final BD. We produce a 3/16 dimeter pellet and the average Bulk Density is 520 grams/liter.

As always there are exceptions to this, but for us this is a good rule of thumb for a standard brewers pellet.

Jim

Find out the moisture content (from your supplier - probably around 10% or less)

Measure the volume of 1 lb of hops using a large measuring cup. Divide by moisture content (ie divide by 0.1 if your pellet moisture is 10%) - you should then have a pretty good estimate of wet volume.

Your hot trub will occupy as much or more space depending on the grain bill, water chemistry, vigour of boil, use of finings etc.

Pax.

Liam

You could also consider doing an expirement in a graduated cylinder. Pull off some hot wort and put that along with the pellets in the cylinder and let it sit for an hour or so. Mark the level at the beginning and then again at the end and that should give you a rough estimate of what to expect out of a whirlpool.

wet hop volume

James, I like your idea.

I will try that.

Thanks

Tim