Frustrated with pH meters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated with pH meters!

I've never found a good hand-held meter in the under $100 range. Can anybody recommend something that works? I've had the Milwaukee pH53, the Checker, a bunch of others and they all fall flat fast. Every time I calibrate this new Milwaukee, it drifts in minutes. Same calibration solution, but 10 minutes later it's reading half a pH unit off! I don't subject them to harsh acids or even yeast; and I put them away carefully in storage solution. I need something that is reliable and accurate. Any help?
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

I've been very happy with the Exstik PH-110. If memory serves, I paid about $120 for it. This model has a replaceable reservoir in the electrode, and replaceable reference junction. Obviously you need to keep it clean, dab, not wipe the glass bit, and so on.

I have never compared it to an expensive bench model so I don't know how it stacks up accuracy-wise, but testing with buffer solutions says it's almost always within 0.03, and that's good enough for me. I only need to calibrate about twice a week, and it only takes a few minutes.

It's quite tough, completely waterproof, and floats if you drop it in liquid. Recalls the last 15 readings.

Here's a bit of company marketing propaganda:
    http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...=69&prodid=431 including data sheets and a couple of video demos.

Comment

i agree...

The Extech pH meter has worked wonderfully for me - I paid less than 90$ for the one that I have and have used the same model at several breweries. Go with it... simple calibration, ATC, etc.

Comment

I've had good luck with the Hanna pHep 5. Cheap, accurate. I find that the electrode life is good if I store the thing in 4 buffer between readings and also soak it in cleaning solution every month or so.

Comment

Thanks guys! Just picked up the pH110 for a hundred bucks. Hope it lasts a few years. Cheers!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Bumping an old thread

Looking into the finer points of pH meters has led me to the following questions. Most of the "cheaper" handhelds with ATC top out at about 140°F Since I prefer to measure pH at the temp it will be used at (mash in/sparge temp) how critical is it if the ATC poops out at 140°F. Can I assume the difference is minimal or does the ATC just flat out not work if it is over temperature? I have tried many different meters (with and without ATC) and the differences are shocking even in side by side comparisons.

Should I just suck it up and get one with a higher ATC range (probably)?

I guess the other option is to cool the sample first, but this adds time and doesn't truly give the "actual pH" at use temp......
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Scott,

I've not checked handhelds, but there are some reasonably priced bench pH meters around that have ATC up to 100C/212F.

Hope that helps!

Comment

hmmmmm....

WaterEng:

Your response actually gets more to the crux of my issue. I have read texts that say 5.2-5.5 pH at mash temp and I have read texts that say 5.2-5.5 at reference temp (~room temp). Then there are others that don't reference or infer any temperature.

I know for the most part I am ok as long as I "pick one convention" and go with it. Until now it has been the "check at actual temp" method. Unfortunately my previous engineering experience won't let me accept this amount of test variability.....

I guess I need to do some more comparisons at mash temp vs. room temp and come up with a more "robust" measurement process.....

So I'm curious to know what is everyone else out there doing. Measuring at mash temp or measuring at room temp?
                Scott LaFollette
                Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I'll second the Extech I think the ATC is within mash range as well.

Comment

3rd vote for ExTech

Comment

I have become increasingly frustrated with my current PH Meter (Hanna) also . . To be clear, is this the model you are all satisfied with? (The link in the original recommendation is dead).

Thank you.
                      nate lanier
                      @treehousebrewco

Comment

yup that's it

That's the one they're talking about. I decided to get one from Amazon just like your link. Unfortunately I had to return it because it was DOA.....
                        Scott LaFollette
                        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

The good one is the one that this electrode goes on:

Teledyne FLIR is the world leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of thermal imaging infrared cameras.

Comment

Just to be crystal clear, the company is EXTECH, and the product is:
                            PH110: ExStik® Refillable pH Meter
                            Mike Lanzarotta
                            Commercial Real Estate Broker
                            finding space for breweries in Southern California
                            former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Thanks a lot!
                              nate lanier
                              @treehousebrewco

Comment

Working...
                              X