Frustrated with pH meters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any others?

so after my third martini 56 meter in a year pooped out on me, i decided to get another exstik as mentioned here (the first one i bought was DOA). I am using it for the first time today and it seems to have the same issue i encounter with so many other meters....

i calibrate in brand new 7 and 4 buffer. so far so good. measure a few water samples (at room temperature). still good. walk away long enough for the meter to time out and turn off while sitting in the water sample. come back ten minutes later and the meter is off by .3 (sometimes high, sometimes low). put it back in the buffers and recalibrate. then it works fine again...for a few minutes...

i'm starting to think i am cursed. maybe its me? should i be keeping the meter in buffer solution when not in use (even for a few minutes). when i am done for the day i store it with buffer 4 in the cap....

or do i just need to suck it up and by a $300 benchtop?? would that even make a difference?
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

There's no such thing as a good cheap handheld pH meter.

Calibrate your benchtop meter regularly with fresh 4 & 7 calibration solutions, clean the electrode slightly less regularly with pepsin & HCl solution, and when your unit is just taking too long to reach a stable reading, it's time to buy a new probe.

Maintain fluid levels if the probe requires it.

Store the electrode in a beaker of saturated KCl solution and refresh it weekly.

pH meters require more attention than most people give them, in my humble experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kai

Calibrate your benchtop meter regularly with fresh 4 & 7 calibration solutions, clean the electrode slightly less regularly with pepsin & HCl solution, and when your unit is just taking too long to reach a stable reading, it's time to buy a new probe.

Store the electrode in a beaker of saturated KCl solution and refresh it weekly.

pH meters require more attention than most people give them, in my humble experience.

I agree. My problem is I can't get a new handheld one to work well for more than a few days..... I know they are cheap, but you'd think it would be better than that!
        Scott LaFollette
        Fifty West Brewing Company
        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

The unreliability of the handheld pH meters have lead us back to pH strips. They have done a good job at alerting us of any potential issues. Does any one else use EMD colorpHast strips?

Comment

We have a really good hand-held now. It's an Oakton/Eutech pHTestr30. Nice unit that stays in calibration longer than most. I'll buy another when this one dies.
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Has anyone tried the HM Digital pH200?

Comment

Retract

I retract my earlier statement about the Extech. It seems that they have changed their producer (an even cheaper far east producer?) and I began having problems... faulty model after faulty model. Have switched to Oakton and have had moderate to favorable results. It all depends upon how accurate one wants to be... and how much one is willing to spend...

Comment

Gee . . .

I have this one and it works great! Easy to calibrate, and settles in seconds. http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instrume...256121-9429156
                  James Romano
                  Owner, and everything else . . .
                  Fire Cirkl, White City, OR

Comment

Just wanted to update my thoughts here to hopefully benefit those searching for a solid, reliable meter. . .

After much frustration with Hannah and extech I took a bit of a leap of faith on the Oakton pH 11. It's a bit pricier than many of the other meters discussed here but I've found it to be extremely reliable, consistent, and quick. A worthy purchase.

Amazon link here:

Cole-Parmer here:

-nate
                    nate lanier
                    @treehousebrewco

Comment

Still frustrated...

Now I have a pile of dead Oakton pH30s laying around. Time to buck up to a more serious instrument. What decent pH meter can I get for under $500?

Comment

For my next meter...

I've got a pile of dead pH meters enough for an art collage. Can't get them to last over a year. Looking now at either a Milwaukee Mi-150 for $250 or the new Hanna edge 2020 for $410. Anybody care to share real-world brewery experience with either?

Comment

Ph meter

What techniques do you use to quickly cool down the water to acceptable levels for the probe readubg. I have a Hach hand held 40d. Quick accurate but keep breaking glass probes bulb because of high water temps. Time is of the essence and every minute wasted is a minute not spent on getting liquid in the tanks fermenting. I like the unit but don't like replacing the probes every 2 months.
                          Trent
                          Shades of Pale
                          Park City UT

Comment

Originally posted by kai View Post

Agreed. Bench top meter or you're better off using high quality narrow range papers for your brewhouse reading needs.

Even with ATC that handles above 140 I think it's a terrible idea to subject your expensive sensitive equipment to that heat. Cool your samples down first. Maybe use a metal cup and put it in a pan of cool water.
                            I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Looking for a new meter...

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
                              I've got a pile of dead pH meters enough for an art collage. Can't get them to last over a year. Looking now at either a Milwaukee Mi-150 for $250 or the new Hanna edge 2020 for $410. Anybody care to share real-world brewery experience with either?
                              I'm over the handheld meters and am looking to spend the money on a decent bench top. Did either of these meters work out for you, or did you go a different direction?

Comment

Been good to me so far....

I bought the Hanna Edge kit for my cidery. Meter, wine-specific probe, storage solution, cleaning solution, stir plate, and buffers (including 3.0 for lower measurements)--all for $500. I like it. Do very accurate titrations now. Very happy with this meter. And their support and educational materials are first-rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X