Full Mash Boil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Mash Boil

O.K. We all know that decoction mash scheduals were derived due to poorly modified malts used hundreds of years ago. So with today's technology and highly modified malts, could you achieve similar effects of the old style by simply boiling the entire mash after conversion takes place? All this of course keeping assuming you could boil the mash without scorching the tun (ie with a steam jacket or recirculating wort while firing the tun)

Have fun with this one!
    Dave

That does not seem to make sense to me. You perform a decoction mash to further break down starch so that when you put it back into the mash the remaining enzymes can convert them.

In a full mash boil, you destroy any enzymes and if there are any starches left, they remain unconverted.

Am I missing your point?

Comment

Does the boiling further gelatinize starches that would otherwise be unavailable? If so then decoction would increase overall efficiency. But I thought that today's 2-row malt was fully convertable without decoction.

Once you have sugars converted from an infusion mash, say with Briess 2 row, could boiling the mash contribute those characteristic malty tones of a pilsner?

What is the point of using a schedual for boiling the mash, if the protein rest is not truly necessary?
      Dave

Comment

Boiling the full mash will axtract all sorts of horrible flavours and colours, producing more astringent flavouor characteristics, extracting haze forming materials, the anthocyanogens and proteins, and gelatenising any residual starch.

Apart from that, as previously said, it will kill off the enzymes, so should there be any residual starch, there will be no enzymes left to convert starch to sugar.

Also it will be a pig to avaoid burning at least some of the mash. It will have to be stirred, costing money for stirrers, and finally be a pig to run off as the husk will be softened and so not form a decent porous bed.

Not all malts are equally modified - you will have to check out the characteristics of ech malt. Some peple seem to just like doing a decoction mash, and do it because they are brewing lager, but actually don't need to. Just PR I guess.

Cheers
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X