Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Nitrogen Generators

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10

    Nitrogen Generators

    I am looking at purchasing a nitrogen generator to get away from the constant replacing of N2 tanks. Anyone have comments on the Beer Blast mixed gas/ generator systems sold by Southtec? I've been quoted $5500 for the unit. Sound reasonable? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    St.Louis->Tacoma
    Posts
    633
    I see your in BC, we just installed generators at all of our breweries from Carbonic Systems here in Washington. I and all of the brewers i have spoken with are very happy with their performance, pretty much worry free. From what i understand they have a unique design that improves their lifespan and requires less maintenance than others on the market. Not sure if they do international business, but i highly recommend them. Contact Jessie McLaughlin for details on them. I will PM you with contact info.
    Last edited by Jephro; 01-08-2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Jeff Byrne

    12 year pro craft brewer *NOW available for hire...
    Auburn, Wa - for now

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, I will wait for your pm and the info.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    St.Louis->Tacoma
    Posts
    633
    Sent the PM on the 8th. Let me know if you did not get it...
    Jeff Byrne

    12 year pro craft brewer *NOW available for hire...
    Auburn, Wa - for now

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    393

    lots o $$$

    you sure can buy quite a bit of N2 for 5500...how about a bulk tank? Cheaper, better, and they don't really break...
    Larry Horwitz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Palau
    Posts
    1,568
    I've got the Beer Blast from South-Tek Systems. I'm pretty happy with it. It's been used hard for the last 3 years. Blew a compressor motor, but they replaced it under warranty without any hassles. Maintenance on the system is very minimal--replace filters once a year and check for leaks while I'm at it. We use it as purge gas for DE filter and 20 bbl BBT, as well as for our canning machine. It's piped to a 500 gallon reservoir tank. I think our complete system was $8500 once I bought all the valves/tubing/regulators. Should have my ROI paid for in another two years. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    132
    We use it with great results - but didn't plunk down the cash to buy. NuCO2 rents it for $144/month
    Scott Metzger
    Freetail Brewing Co.
    San Antonio, TX

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Palau
    Posts
    1,568

    Any other experiences to share out there?

    Looking to replace our 6 year old nitrogen generator. Any other good luck stories out there? Reliability and longevity are keys for me. What manufacturers are making quality equipment? Like to make sure I'm covering bases well. Thanks!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Moab, Utah
    Posts
    177

    Nitro-Gen

    We brought a system on line from our CO2 guys at NuCO2.
    About 6 months back I started noticing excess noise from the air compressor along with progressively longer cycle times.
    The policy of this outfit is to allow the air compressor to die before it is replaced regardless of how " lame " it may perform, as long as it keeps the distribution cylinder at pressure.
    And it did die for sure in less than 3 years.
    These are small oil less type air units at a glance.
    The auto drain units on this rig also seem to leak by if the compressor is not supplying good pressure at the cycle start.
    So the suggestion is to always have a backup cylinder or 2 on hand so you can run while repairs are being made.

    All the best.
    Warren Turner
    Industrial Engineering Technician
    HVACR-Electrical Systems Specialist
    Moab Brewery

    " Just say no to the Metric system!"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Palau
    Posts
    1,568
    Thanks. Checked out NuCO2. They seem to specialize in restaurants/pubs. I need something larger and more robust. The South-Tek system was also designed more for tap beer delivery than day-in/day-out microbrewery use. The little oil-less compressor lasted 3 years before I was quoted a replacement for many hundreds of dollars. I bought a larger 5hp compressor, an air receiver and an air dryer to run the entire brewery, including nitrogen generator. Now looking for membranes and controls without the compressor or any receiver tanks to replace membranes that take ever-longer to produce ever-lower pressures. Still looking.....
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Moab, Utah
    Posts
    177

    Good Plan

    Phillip, sounds like you have a solid idea, to build an industrial grade system that will not be letting you down so to speak.
    I did a search on the " tek " one day and came up with the same outfit you mentioned.
    3 years on the compressor, exactly what we got. Pretty lame.

    All the best.
    Warren Turner
    Industrial Engineering Technician
    HVACR-Electrical Systems Specialist
    Moab Brewery

    " Just say no to the Metric system!"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Palau
    Posts
    1,568
    We're using around 8 Nm3/day, so it's more than any typical draft system. Wondering whether anyone has oxygen scrubbing afterward? I'm getting less than perfect N2 from our unit, and will likely with any other unit. 99.9% still leaves 0.1% O2 blanketing our beer. Maybe not so critical for beer dispense, but very critical for packaging! Thank you for any help!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by gitchegumee View Post
    We're using around 8 Nm3/day, so it's more than any typical draft system. Wondering whether anyone has oxygen scrubbing afterward? I'm getting less than perfect N2 from our unit, and will likely with any other unit. 99.9% still leaves 0.1% O2 blanketing our beer. Maybe not so critical for beer dispense, but very critical for packaging! Thank you for any help!
    Philip

    Have you checked out Dominick Hunter (parker hannafin is their new name, I think)..Seem to remember that 10 ppm was pretty cheaply available. was some time ago now (1998).

    Pax.

    Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •