Cereal Mash Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cereal Mash Questions

I am working on a project to ramp up a homebrew recipe utilizing a cereal mash to production levels and have a few questions.

Adjunct to grain ratio for the cereal mash is 30% of the adjunct weight, so 173 pounds of adjunct will mean using 52 pounds of base malt in the cereal mash. Does that sound right?

Also, liquor to grist ratio for the cereal mash is 1.6 quarts/pound on the homebrew version. Shouldn't this be closer to 3 quarts/pound to make pumping to the main mash easier?

I know they are simple questions, just want to make sure I have my numbers right before I run into a problem.
    Thanks!

70% adjunct?

Just curious, what sort of beer are you trying to make? 70% is a crazy-high percentage of adjunct, do you add enzymes? I don't think that even mass-produced malt liquors approach that percentage. I'd talk to the brewers at the facility that will be brewing it, but yes a 3 lbs:1 lb water:grist ratio would be more common. Are you including the water used to cook the cereal in your calculations?

Comment

Thanks Joe. The 70% adjunct is only in the Cereal Mash part of the routine. Adjuncts for the total grist is under 30%. Thanks for reminding me of the total water numbers. I'll have to adjust the sparge volumes to account for the thinner cereal mash.

Comment

Sorry I didn't read more carefully. I took a quick look at a couple of my brewing texts and it looks like 3 qts of water per pound of grain is fairly standard in a cereal mash. I hope you're planning to do all that extra work in order to utilize an interesting grain.

Comment

Working...
        X