Thread: Over a 100% in efficiency. Is it possible?

Over a 100% in efficiency. Is it possible?

The obvious answer is no.

However a colleque of mine claims that he gets 12,5HL of (adjusted for liquid expansion of the hot wort) from 155 kg of grain.

Going over the numbers I work that out to 103% effeciency (using the tables in "New Brewing Lager Beer").

Could somebody please verify my calculation - and assuming it is correct tell me if they have experienced something similar.

-Christian

You would need to attain how many pounds of fermentable sugars are in that wort volume, plus a few other variables. You could also get 15 hl or wort from 155kg but at a lower gravity. Fill me in if I'm missing something or if certain assumed values are being used.

Please show your work.

What plato is the wort? What kind of grain?
    Phillip Kelm
    Palau Brewing Company

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by gitchegumee
    What plato is the wort? What kind of grain?
    Stupid me! I totally forgot the OG: 1038.

/Christian

I plugged in 155 kg of the highest yield base malt into ProMash and got a 99-100% brewhouse efficiency. I doubt your colleague is getting anywhere near this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSA
    The obvious answer is no.

However a colleque of mine claims that he gets 12,5HL of (adjusted for liquid expansion of the hot wort) from 155 kg of grain.

Going over the numbers I work that out to 103% effeciency (using the tables in "New Brewing Lager Beer").

Could somebody please verify my calculation - and assuming it is correct tell me if they have experienced something similar.

-Christian
    Is your colleague using a Meura 2000 EVO Mash Filter? Yields over 100% are possible with the right $$ equipment.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Quote Originally Posted by beertje46
    Is your colleague using a Meura 2000 EVO Mash Filter? Yields over 100% are possible with the right $$ equipment.
    That was going to be my response as well. Those Mash Filters are some kind of magic.

curious?

I understand brewhouse efficiencies (I think) so I'm having trouble understanding how one could get over 100% yield. Is this a relative term? Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrewer
    I understand brewhouse efficiencies (I think) so I'm having trouble understanding how one could get over 100% yield....
    I might need a little refresher on this one too, but as far as I remember the efficiency was relative to what was reported on the malt analysis sheet. I think that the standard ASBC laboratory mash that is used by maltsters to determine the fine grind extract (%FG) can actually be improved upon in a brewery using a fine grinding hammer mill and a Meura mash filter.

On the Meura website they say they can deliver the same amount of extract as the laboratory yield as a minimum! (http://www.meura.com/products-and-se...2001-carbo.htm)

So I think that unless Christian's friend has a Meura, that it's pretty safe to call "Bull Shit" on that one.

Dave

got it

Thanks Dave...that makes sense
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY