No announcement yet.

Oxygenating Wort.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following on from the previous advice, make sure there is something to break it up into very fine bubbles, and allow time for the oxygen to dissolve before it gets into the FV. The finer the gas bubbles, the less time required. A restriction in the lien downstream of the injection point to increase the back pressure also helps if the system will allow it.

And if the fermentation tails off, rouse it for say 30 minutes or an hour, spraying it across the top of the wort to let it absorb more oxygen. Crude, but effective, and used by generations of brewers - though a bit hit & miss

And don't forget to ensure you can take the sinter out and clean & sterilise it wehn you clean the wort mains
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton
      <snipped though all good advice >
      And if the fermentation tails off, rouse it for say 30 minutes or an hour, spraying it across the top of the wort to let it absorb more oxygen. Crude, but effective, and used by generations of brewers - though a bit hit & miss
      I've seen cruder e.g. merely oxygenating with air by using a 'cracked' pipe-joint or something equally simple (e.g. dropping it from a height into the FV, or using a fantail or simply the wall of the vessel to increase surface area air exposure) but it seemed to work - sometimes if slow ferm., it was coupled with simple rousing of the wort with a paddle or similar (or more importantly rousing the yeast back into suspension, instead of sitting on the surface, doing nothing!).

cheers
      MikeMcG

Comment

The key to aeration when rousing is to ensure the wort is sprayed through air, not CO2. One brewery that shall remain nameless, (I didn't work there but know people who did) couldn't understand why their fermentations tailed off after they covered them up for CIP and safety reasons, in spite of continuing to rouse as before through fishtails. Simple - no air. They introduced some sort of venturi system to suck air into (or perhaps inject into - I never did get the details) the recircualting wort, and surprise surprise the fermentatiosn were fine again after a little fine tuning. So the spary has to above the wall vessel level (assuming open FVs) to allow oxygen pickup
        dick

Comment

The GW Kent inline item you mentioned works well. You can also go cheaper and just get a scintered stainless stone from JVNW, but I really like the GW Kent one with the built in sight glass. It also has a greater surface area for O2 dispersion.
          Big Willey
          "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Oxygen supply??

Where are you getting your oxygen from? Are you using medical grade or welding grade? I had a local gas company tell me that I can't by medical grade without a script.

Anyone using an air pump instead? What type?

thanks,

noodle

Comment

Originally posted by noodle
              Where are you getting your oxygen from? Are you using medical grade or welding grade? I had a local gas company tell me that I can't by medical grade without a script.

Anyone using an air pump instead? What type?

thanks,

noodle
              You want food grade which a good consumables supplier should have. Medical often has anti-micro agents in it, welding grades can be pretty dirty.

Comment

Source please??

Could you please point me to a source for food grade oxygen? I did a yahoo search and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Noodle

Comment

The grade in-between welding and medical is often refered to a s GMP- Good Manufacturing Process. Sometimes your supplier will have Certification for food grade, which may cost a bit more than welding.
                  EDIT- If your supplier looks at you funny when you mention GMP and food grade certification get a new supplier...
                  Last edited by Ted Briggs; 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM.
                  Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                  tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                  "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by noodle
                    Could you please point me to a source for food grade oxygen? I did a yahoo search and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Noodle
                    Start by calling these guys

Distance: 9 miles
                    Name: Airgas East
                    Phone: (413) 781-6550
                    Fax: (413) 739-9739
                    Address: 1361 Union Street,
                    West Springfield, MA 01089-4099
                    Facility Type(s): Branch
                    Retail Store

Distance: 15 miles
                    Name: Airgas East
                    Phone: (860) 643-9103
                    Fax: (860) 643-9137
                    Address: 7 Sanrico Drive,
                    Manchester, CT 06040
                    Facility Type(s): Branch
                    Retail Store

Air Products & Chemicals Inc
                    67 Walden St, West Hartford, CT 06107
                    Air Products provide essential industrial gases, related equipment and applications expertise to customers in dozens of industries. Find out more.

(860) 561-5902

Esquire Gas Products CO
                    156 Spring St, Enfield, CT 06082
                    Distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases as well as a product line of safety products, welding equipment, specialty tools, and MRO products.

(860) 745-2477
                    (860) 745-0793 Fax
                    (800) 626-3907 Free

Comment

Wow...

Thanks everyone for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

noodle

Comment

Or ask for...

The O2 we get is labeled as "Aviator Grade" which is in between medical and Welders.
                        Dave
                        Dave Fougeron
                        Southern Star Brewing Company
                        Conroe, Texas

Comment

I use straight air from an oil-less air compressor. I added .25micron absolute sterile inline filter to the system and then aerate by eye in the sight tube. We use Fermentis yeast and have had NO issues. I can turn over our red in 8 days flat for a 10bbl batch.
                          Mike Pensinger
                          General Manager/Brewmaster
                          Parkway Brewing Company
                          Salem, VA

Comment

Originally posted by beerking1 View Post
                            Our brewpub here doesn't have the resources to calculate the precise mg/l, but we run an aeration stone inline between the chiller and the fermenter. we set the O2 flow at 2-2.5 Bar and that seems to work fine for us.
                            Just my $0.02. Hope it helps, even if just as a baseline.

How long do you inject oxigen for? the whole cooling process so all the wort gets injected or is a certain amout of time?

Comment

Working...
                            X